Monday, August 24, 2020

Only Four Months 'til Christmas Eve!!!

Yes people, I keep track of such things as how long until Christmas.  As I get, um, more mature, yes, that's it, more mature, time passes more quickly and those four months will be gone in a flash.  I need to start contemplating, especially as shipping seems to be taking longer and longer these days.  

Case in point:  On August 7th, I placed an order with the King Arthur Baking Company (formerly the King Arthur Flour Company) for six items.  It took a day or so for the order to go "live" and I then received notice that things were beginning to be shipped out.  According to shipping notifications, four items were being shipped together and the other two were being shipped singly.  Okay.  I got free shipping, so I was prepared to wait.  The first four items arrived in about ten days, and as I checked the other two items I noticed a strange happening with one.  

Let's see if I can follow this:  It left Virginia and went to Maryland, then to West Virginia, and Ohio.  From there it made it further west to Indiana, and then what??  It went to Pennsylvania, then back to Indiana and then to New York!  What, what, what??  Then to New Jersey where it stayed for four days.  At this point I called King Arthur.  Was I ever going to see my silicone rolling mat?  

I was impressed with KA when I got a real person to talk to immediately.  He was able to pull up the tracking record and was as amazed as I was.  He pondered a bit and then said he'd get another one off to me second-day air and if the first one ever showed up I could gift it to some helpful organization.  Two thumbs up to King Arthur Baking Company!!

Anyway, this digression is to point out that it's none too soon to be planning and if necessary, ordering, Christmas gifts so we don't have to print out tracking records to show that the present is on it's way--hopefully!!

3 comments:

  1. Ever true to our pattern, I was just thinking the same thing -- fall is in the air, Halloween around the corner, and Christmas is coming! It's time for "Ina" to wake up.

    I have a shipping story, too. I ordered from Tea Time Fabric Panels, an Etsy shop. The product is a little pricey but the shipping is free. I keep all email messages relating to orders, but I often don't pay a lot of attention. After a week or so, one of the owners contacted me to say that the item had been shipped but the tracking wasn't updating. I could see that, too. I told her I was in no hurry and willing to wait it out, but she insisted on sending another. That one (the second mailing) came right through, and I did eventually get the first one. This is a small company trying to grow, so I wasn't offended when they sent me a shipping label to return the duplicate. The one-on-one was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd become spoiled over the last few years because it seemed things showed up within a day or so. Certainly no longer than a week. Now it's weeks. Reminds me of the old send in your order with a check to Sears or Montgomery Ward and wait (patiently) for your order to arrive weeks later days.

      Delete
    2. Not only are we spoiled but sellers are afraid we'll be offended if the order doesn't arrive "day after tomorrow." They don't want negative reviews.

      And yes, we used to wait and wait, and we had no idea when those orders would come. I think as a general rule it was two weeks.

      Delete