Yes, people, it's barely sixty degrees and cloudy out there. Brrr! I'm thinking of picking up my knitting needles and getting back to a pair of socks I started earlier this year. It's just that kind of day.
Dan and I have been saying for the past few years (maybe even ten), that fall seems to arrive in August anymore. When we were kids the famous words were "hot August nights", but we've burrowed under the covers all month. And daytime temperatures have been mostly in the eighties. We're not complaining! Dan grew up in Spokane and remembers many hot, hot days and nights and the little town I grew up in was in a canyon and never cooled off at night after day temperatures in the nineties and hundreds. I remember laying on top of the covers and having the windows and curtains wide open hoping for cooler air. No one had air conditioning in those days.
(And let me drift off, for a moment, and remember shopping for school clothes on 90 plus degree days in unairconditioned stores, trying on wool sweaters and skirts. And of course, we did this in the nearest "big" town, so my mom, coming from the Seattle area, insisted we had to dress up to go to town and that included wearing nylons. Yikes! Of course our car had no air conditioning either, and it was a 45-minute or longer drive to get there. There was, of course, the ol' "four-sixty air conditioner" -- sixty miles an hour with all four windows rolled down, but that created havoc with our hair. . .)*
Suffice it to say that I'm not the least bit sorry to have a cool day today. Here's a picture of my finished quilt top on my design wall. I think I've come up with my quilting plan so hopefully I'll get to that in a few days.
I've been in a baking mood since finishing the top and tried Joanna Gaines recipe for blueberry rolls to great success. If you have her second cookbook, I can totally recommend her recipe. Our zucchini have come on and I made a double batch of zucchini bread two days ago. An old standby, but still so delicious! Just had a mid morning snack (or as the British call it, elevenses) of a piece with my coffee.
And last, here's a picture of the butte and sky to our south taken a few evenings ago. Love the light.
And that's the news for now! ♥
And last, here's a picture of the butte and sky to our south taken a few evenings ago. Love the light.
And that's the news for now! ♥
* I realize I've used "of course" three times in a row in this paragraph, but on reflection, they needed to stay. They define the situation. Of course!


What a fun post! Wonderful memories -- yes, wonderful! Yes, it was hot, but I don't mind remembering.
ReplyDeleteAnd we always dressed up to go to the nearest "big" town. Most everyone did. My mother would dress up to go to the bank and the post office.
It would have been a perfect week to crochet on my afghan, but I left it at the farmhouse. It's a missed opportunity.
Your quilt top is coming right along. It's beautiful.
Mom, too, dressed up when she was only going down to shop locally. I remember she was so pleased when Joan Frost's mom told her that Joan had said that "Mary Lou Cummings always looks like she just stepped out of a bandbox."
DeleteThen there's me. Clean shirt and my jeans and I'm good to go!
I keep thinking about this post. I could just keep on commenting. Your mom was attractive and wore her clothes well. And it was the standard of the day not to be seen in your "at home" clothes. That's gone now, and even if you did dress up, no one would be impressed. In fact, in some situations, I think it could be viewed negatively.
DeleteOne of my favorite bloggers changed her theme from vintage to '50's glamour. I quit following. As you pointed out, it wasn't comfortable. It was also expensive -- or would be today -- and time consuming. AND -- those clothes just aren't out there now. We're lucky to find anything to wear. Jeans and shirt are it!
Mom did wear her clothes well. She had style and being 5'10" and 130 pounds enabled her show off her clothing to advantage. (She weighed 123 when she and dad married.)
DeleteWe love zucchini bread. I have three overgrown ones to shred for bread. My first "Z" bread recipe came from my sister Nina, and that's our favorite, but I also make chocolate "Z" bread from a recipe I found online.
ReplyDeleteMy zucchini and crookneck seem to be at a standstill right now. For one thing, we didn't pick for a week and the squash grew large. And right now the heat might inhibit the plants.
I alway think I'll try a new recipe for the bread, including a chocolate one, but then I go with the old standby. I got it from my friend Roxy back in the summer of '75. It think it's a pretty standard recipe.
Delete