Thursday, August 27, 2020

It's Zucchini Season!

Every summer since we've owned our own home, we've planted some type of garden.  In the early days, it really was for "survival" in that we certainly didn't have much money and a garden provided much needed food for us and our little ones.  And every garden included zucchini and yellow squash (which we called crookneck) even though as years went by, and locations changed,  it was more for the fun of it rather than cheap food.  

It seems that we always wait in great anticipation for the plants to finally produce something big enough to eat. Then, all of a sudden, there's too much!  And there's always a few zucchini that hide (how do they do that?) and turn into torpedos.  Ah, but they are perfect for zucchini bread and zucchini relish.  Until your freezer is full and so are your cupboards. This year Dan has tried to beat the system by picking the squash when it's very small, and for the most part, it's worked.  Mostly.

We've had Summer Squash Skillet; bread; steamed, blackened, and topped with cheese; PW's Simple Sesame noodles with chicken and squash added; and so on.  Last summer I discovered a spice cake that was extremely well received when we had company over a weekend.  I think one will be in the works later today.  

We've also grown green beans over the years, usually very successfully until this house.  The soil isn't very good, apparently, and Dan's often so busy with his consulting that the garden usually gets short shrift.  This year we were determined to get beans enough to can. Here's a photo of our crop.


Yes, that's it.  Seven jars.  The bunnies ate the rest. Sigh. Such is life here on the edge of town.  ♥


2 comments:

  1. Yes -- the bunnies. My first gardening efforts at the farm were 20 years ago, and I remember that the bunnies ate my beans. That's when I realized I just couldn't garden here without raised beds and fencing.

    I'm glad you got those seven quarts. I see a dish of garden beans on your Thanksgiving table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've come to the conclusion that raised beds are probably our only option. We fenced a few years ago and Dan found a mama bunny and a whole nest of babies *inside* the fence.

      And those aren't quarts. They're pints. (Again with the sigh . . .)

      Delete