Ever notice how sometimes it's the little things that give the biggest pleasure? Take my pantry for example. When we bought this house, two of the most important things I was looking for were a shower in the master bath (our previous house had only a half bath en suite) and a pantry in or near the kitchen.
We scored! Our master bath is small, but it does have its own shower and I have loved it for almost twenty-one years. And we have a pantry, a good sized one, right in the kitchen. I don't think the space was built to be a pantry, however. I think it was meant to be a utility type closet for vacuum cleaners, brooms, a waste basket, etc. The biggest clue besides its size? It has a ceiling light in it. The shelves are deep, almost too deep, and it had a bi-fold door on it. The hinged side was on the right and when the door was open, it blocked at least six inches of the shelves, and that coupled with another five inches or so behind the adjacent front wall made for much difficulty accessing things stored on that side.
I queried Dan some time ago about redoing that bi-fold door by removing the center hinge and attaching the resulting two doors with hinges on their outside edges so that they would open from the center and fold back giving me better access to the right side, not to mention making it easier to get around the pantry without the door sticking out into the hallway. At first he didn't think it would work because of suspected structure issues relating to studs, sheetrock, and blah, blah (issues I didn't understand). But then last Saturday he decided to give it a try. And it worked!!!
Here's picture of it in process, doors split and left side up.
We still need to buy another knob and do some painting, but here's how it looks now when open.
Such a little thing, but it makes me so happy! ♥


Wonderful! Dan just had to think about that for a while. Good job! Amazing how a "simple" fix can make us so happy.
ReplyDeleteThe modular home has a walk-in pantry -- one of its better features, though methinks the shelves could be a little deeper. I don't need THAT much standing room. The farmhouse pantry shelves are deep and I struggle to find what I need, but I'm lucky to have that cupboard -- and grateful for it.
Yes, those simple fixes are wonderful! And they usually have to do with things used every day, so I think that's what makes them so extra special.
Delete