As my faithful readers know, I have a few dolls that I have on display in our family room. I don't actually do much with them, but I do love dressing them. And I've enjoyed making doll clothes as long as I can remember. I have amassed quite a collection of patterns over the years, even a few left over from my childhood. The problem is time; sewing for dolls can be as time consuming as sewing for a person, sometimes more given the fiddly nature of sewing in miniature.
I have several sources of patterns that show up in my Facebook feed and the other day a sweater for American Girl type dolls surfaced. I decided to indulge myself and so bought and downloaded the pattern. And decided to make one immediately, before the desire wore off. I had several choices of leftover sock yarn and thought each would be enough. After all, how much yarn could one small, actually tiny, sweater need? Well, as it turned out, more than I had left of any one color.
At first I thought it wouldn't matter, I'd use this as a test run. But I hadn't reckoned with the intricacies of the design and as I knitted I wasn't certain I would want to make another one. I kept knitting however, and it almost seemed miraculous that the yarn continued. I got much further into the sweater than I ever thought when at last the yarn ran out. I had another color in the same type of yarn, and the knitting had finally gotten easier, so I attached it and kept on going. When I finished, I was amazed at the result. I think it's cuter than it would have been in just one color! Amazing!
I used my new yarn holder which was a Christmas gift from Ann and just love it! It holds the yarn and makes pulling out new lengths so easy. Not to mention that it's just the cutest!
I even think I'll try another version of the sweater. I'm a glutton for punishment!! ♥


The sweater IS just the cutest. I enjoyed hearing about the process. And I've never seen a yarn holder. Very cute! I'm glad to hear that you also think the doll clothes aren't quick to sew. They can be quite difficult -- and "fiddly." With the recent sew-along, I dropped several attempts into the trash.
ReplyDeleteI'd seen wooden yarn holders, but never a cute ceramic one like this. I love my little sheep!
Delete