Some time ago I wrote a blog post that mentioned my trusty bread machine. We got it probably twenty-five years ago after spending a skiing weekend with some friends who had one and enjoying several loaves of bread with them. It was an Hitachi and it worked wonderfully for many, many years. Then I kind of got out of the habit of using it, and when I hauled it back out recently, it seemed it had, well, run its course.
While I really like to make bread with my Kitchenaid, it takes some care over the next four or so hours to get it into usable form, and sometimes I'd just like a loaf of homemade bread that makes itself. I realized I was thinking, "Yes, like a bread machine does!" So I investigated the possibilities, realizing machines have changed over the years. Christmas was approaching and it would make a good item for my up-to-that-point nonexistent list.
BUT! A major problem arose. Where to put the one if I got it? The one I decided upon was larger than my old one, and much heavier. I'm to the point where I don't relish hauling a twenty-five pound appliance out of a cupboard and heaving it up on the counter. And I don't have a lot of counter space to just leave it out. I thought I was going to have to squash the idea and told Dan as much, but as I wandered back into the kitchen, an idea came to me. With a little rearranging, it looked as if it would work and I told Dan it was back on my list.
(Here is where I have to explain that I have what is probably one of the most bizarrely laid out kitchens in existence. We have an angle in our house and the kitchen has walls meeting at strange angles; it's right in the V. We have three separate counter areas and they are not connected. It's a pain, but I've lived with it for more than nineteen years and survived.)
So, of course I got to unwrap a new bread machine on Christmas morning. And I LOVE it!! My old machine made a tall loaf, nothing like a standard looking loaf, and the slices were large squares. This one makes a normal loaf. I've only made two loaves so far, just plain white, but they are delicious. And one of them is totally salt free!!! There is a special program for it and an accompanying recipe, so I decided to try and it's a winner. Color me one happy bread maker!!
| Zojirushi Virtuoso in its new home |
And here's a slice of my salt-free bread before being slathered with peanut butter and peach jam at lunch today.
It was yummy!! ♥
No comments:
Post a Comment