Well, not in the traditional sense, with money and a bookie. With yarn! I bought a knitting magazine a few months ago, the holiday issue of Knit Simple, and there was a pattern for a scarf in it that I liked. The crazy thing about the pattern was that each row was exactly the same, over and over again.
I finished my oyster tweed socks and, ready to make something besides socks, remembered that pattern. I had a skein of rusty red yarn. Would it be enough? I decided to gamble! I started a few days ago and pick it up several times a day. The pattern is called mistake stitch rib and it creates a lovely, dense knitted fabric that almost feels like a super waffle knit. I really like how it's turning out, but I still have no idea if I'll have enough yarn to make a usable sized scarf.
Care to place a bet? ♥
I know about such gambles. I think you'll make it. It looks like it would already go around your neck.
ReplyDeleteI like to work with a pattern rather than having to read instructions.
The scarf is coming along! We'll see how long it finally gets. I'm not a fan of a skimpy scarf.
DeleteI'm not certain what you mean by pattern vs instructions. Do you mean you like a chart? They often have them in knitting patterns but I've never used one.
LOL. I actually explained in my original answer but decided I was talking too much.
DeleteI mean, for instance, that when I make a ripple afghan, the rows are all the same. Once I've started the work, I don't have to read the instructions. I can pick up the work anytime. But a sweater, a stuffed animal, even some afghans, etc., involve reading, crocheting, reading again, crocheting, etc. I still do it, but it's tedious.
I haven't worked with a chart either. I suppose it would be an advantage.
Oh gracious! Never worry about "talking" too much! Anyway, I see now what you mean and I agree. I never do anything too complicated, but even the lacy scarf I made a few years ago which had a repeat of about eight row, became easy shortly as I memorized the pattern.
DeleteOn the other hand, I've looked at the charted graphs for patterns and it might as well be another language. I think I just work best by following the written word and counting.
I think instructions / directions are difficult for most everyone, no matter the format.
Delete