So I decided to make pizza for our supper the other night. Yes, I know, I've blogged about making pizza before and shared my crust recipe. But!
You know I love my gadgets. My food processor, my Kitchenaid mixer, my Vitamix blender. (Wow, I really am spoiled!) And I do use them all. So, you ask, how have I expanded? Well, I'll tell you.
Ingredients. Yup, the stuff that the gadgets use to make a meal. Many years ago, a new catalog showed up in the mail. It was from King Arthur Flour and I loved it! I took it to bed and poured over it night after night (and yeah, I also take cookbooks to bed for late night reading, especially when Dan is out of town--no scary stuff in them!). I've ordered from them over time, things like the bread bags that fit my big loaves from the bread machine, nifty bag clips, and even my beloved Staub cast iron pumpkin colored pot. But nothing that would classify as ingredients.
Last Christmas one of my packages from daughter Ann and family was rather heavy. And when I opened it I was excited! A King Arthur extravaganza! Specialty flours! Pizza dough flavoring, special bread salt, and a huge spatula! My box of goodies even contained a British cookbook on pizza and focaccia. Oh that girl knows what I love!
So back to the other night. I haven't been in a cooking mood lately (after forty-seven years of cooking, it does get old at times), but I finally decided that I would make pizza. I had some turkey breast pieces from Costco in the freezer and a jar of Alfredo sauce in the cupboard, so I thought I would make my version of a Papa Murphy family favorite we call "chick pizza" (we named it that as a play on words because we thought only the girls in the family would like it rather than the traditional red sauce, super meaty pizza favored by the boys. We were wrong. They all, even my dad, ate all our pizza!)
Somehow, making my own pizza dough, chopping all the peppers and olives, grating the cheese, seems relaxing and fun. And all those new helpers? They make it super yummy!
The container for the yeast is also from King Arthur flour and I love the special measuring spoon that equals the amount a small packet of yeast contains. And that huge spatula? Makes it so easy to take the baked pizza off the stone in the oven and onto a pizza pan for serving.
This is one happy gadget girl! ♥
Lucky you to receive a gift of all those King Arthur ingredients. I look at them longingly and then go to the grocery store for the cheap -er- common stuff. But -- I do have the wonderful yeast measuring spoon, the silicone crust rolling sheet (whatever they call that), and some spices. I love the "Christmas truck" and they have a Christmas truck cookie cutter that I thought about ordering, but honestly, I don't want to spend hours painstakingly icing cookies. (I do frost cookies -- just in a simple fashion.) Your pizza sounded wonderful!
ReplyDeleteYes, lucky me! And you're right--things from King Arthur are not cheap. But oh so fun! I'm not into fancy frosted cookies, either. They're Dan's favorite, and I'm a bad wife who only makes a few every ten or so years. (However, I do makes lots of other cookies!)
DeleteAnd the pizza? It was super yummy!
One Christmas when Mother was living at Evergreen Estates, the extended family came to my house for Christmas. I had baked the cut-out cookies but simply didn't have time to frost them, so at dessert time, I put the cookies on the table with colored frostings and knives. Children and adults frosted and decorated their own cookies, and I thought it was quite lovely.
Delete