I always seem to be a little (or in this case a lot) late to the party on best-selling books. And I don't even remember where I heard about this one back in October, but I decided to give it a whirl and requested it from the library.
Well. I fell for it. All.The.Way. I finished it and immediately began to read it all over again. Then I ordered my very own copy. When that came, I read it again.
What is this book you ask?
Isn't that just the quirkiest title ever? It took me forever to remember it; I just kept calling it the Potato Peel book. For those readers unfamiliar with it (and maybe I'm the only one left in the world who was?), the story takes place in 1946 in London and on the channel island of Guernsey and consists entirely of letters between the main characters. I laughed and cried my way through each and every time I read it (remember those three times!).
I am a lover of historical novels (and this definitely qualifies), and I believe it was meticulously researched. The characters are unique and you come to care about each of them as they are revealed. Needless to say, I give this book my highest recommendation.
I'm glad you ordered your own copy so that you can read it whenever you like. And -- I hadn't heard of it, so thanks for your review.
ReplyDeleteThe letters are such a unique way to tell the story (with an occasional telegram and "night letter"!). The beginning is a little difficult because it starts right in the middle but things become clear as the story unfolds. Kind of like meeting someone you're drawn to and then finding out their life's story as time goes on.
ReplyDelete