Monday, September 3, 2018

Peachy Keen

Last Tuesday I joined two friends and we headed out to pick up some boxes of peaches.  We had the choice of 10-pound flats or thirty-five pound boxes.  I opted for the box. 

Back home, I began to question my choice almost immediately.  Dan had gotten a complete knee replacement for his right knee barely two weeks before and I'd been busy helping him.  His recovery was going amazingly well, but still it was taking a toll on both of us.  And now I'd added those peaches!!

First up, I decided to make a peach pie.  I do believe that peach pie is my absolute favorite pie.  And this one did not disappoint!  Yum!!  Now what to do?  I decided to take the most bruised ones and slice them into a simple syrup and freeze.  I got seven pints.  They will be yummy for breakfast this winter, or perhaps for peach shortcake.  

Next up was another pie, the first was just not enough!!  Then I decided on jam.  This entailed a trip to a store for pectin.  I dropped Dan off for physical therapy and made a last minute decision to stop at Tri-State (known in its ads as "Idaho's Most Interesting Store".  They have a great kitchen department and I knew they stocked many canning items.  As I perused the aisles, I found not the usual MCP pectin in a box, but a jar by Ball.  Intrigued, I checked closely and discovered that it was to be used by the tablespoon and could make as few as two 8-ounce jars or as many as ten in a batch.  And it had recipes for using the usual amount of sugar or a reduced amount.  Sold!!

Back home (after picking up Dan, of course) I began on the jam.  I decided to go full bore and make ten jars and use the less sugar recipe.  The difference was one cup of sugar versus one and two-thirds cups per two-jar recipe (multiplied by five for my ten jars).  Oh, my goodness!! Such wonderful jam!  Stirred into my homemade yogurt, just a teaspoon into half cup of the yogurt, it rivals, no surpasses, any purchased flavored yogurt.  

The yogurt, and pie number two!


The Ball brand pectin and finished product.

The last of the peaches were used to make another peach pie which is safely stowed in the freezer for another day.  

I highly recommend the Ball pectin.  I used less than half the jar, and the ability to make small batches of jam when the mood and fruit strike is a huge plus.  

7 comments:

  1. It is so good to read a post from your keyboard! Yes -- things are changing in the world of pectin. I didn't know this until daughter Hallie and Nick came to my house with a brand I'd never heard of, and I admit that I was a bit put off at first. I was taught not to mess with pectin, and here they were in my kitchen using a dab of pectin and less sugar. I had good and bad results when I began to experiment and looked forward to more of the same this season, but alas! -- it won't happen this year due to kitchen remodel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that you told me about Hallie's pectin and then I heard it could be had at the Food Co-op. I don't know how it compares to the Ball product, but I'm sure sold on it. Maybe a small batch of something could be made in your town kitchen?

      Delete
    2. I really think that I prefer the traditional pectin brands. I love jelly-making as an example of vintage rural homemaking. And you're right -- I could make a small batch of jelly on my flat-top stove. And I even found a container of Ball "RealFruit Classic Pectin" on my shelf. As a plus, it's within its expiration date for another year!

      Delete
    3. Well would you look at that! You discovered the Ball pectin first!! You're set to go if you have a fit of jelly making. :-) I didn't realize you have a flat-top stove. Does that make it hard to can?

      Delete
  2. I think a had a few raspberries and sought pectin that could be used in a small amount.

    Yes, we have a flat-top stove (or whatever the official name is) here in town. If your pan covers the entire burner area, the burner won't heat. So, it won't accommodate a canning kettle. However, there are ways to get around that, especially with a small batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard that kind of stove was fussy, but I had no idea you couldn't use a canning kettle on one. So glad I never bought one!!

      Delete
    2. I knew this when I bought it. The salesman told me, but I wasn't a canner (cannist?) at that time, and I thought it wouldn't matter. And -- it's a low-end model. I should think about replacing it. (I won't go to Sears.)

      Delete