It's a very lazy Sunday here at the Resort. We skipped church due to my sleeping in (daylight savings time, I hate you!), and so enjoyed a leisurely breakfast of eggs Benedict. That was followed by a relaxing time on the sofa with a good book, followed by, amazingly, a nap! I told you it's a very lazy Sunday.
Meanwhile, in my last post I said I'd be back in a day or so and here I am. I'm trying to do better with this poor blog. And so, what do I have to share? Dolls. Dolls? Yes, dolls. I love dolls. Always have. As a girl, I got a new doll every Christmas, with one notable year where I ended up with three. I loved them one and all. My best friend, Kathy, and I spent many hours of our growing up years playing with dolls.
Most of my childhood dolls are long gone, but about twenty years ago, I discovered that there were some amazing dolls being made. The Tonner doll company was making a 14" Betsy McCall doll that was adorable. I still had my original 8" Betsy and some of her clothes, so I felt an immediate need for the new one. Kind of a big sister, so to speak, for my little one. And the American Girl dolls! I needed one of those, too! I put them on Christmas lists and my sweetheart bought both for me. Over the next few years, several more dolls found their way to our house. I even bought a stash to share with future granddaughters, but as we have four grandsons, they were eventually shared with a friend.
Over my teaching years my doll collection was sadly ignored, but recently I've been inspired by my longtime dolly buddy Kathy, and I'm again playing.
I think I'm done adding any dolls to my group (I don't want to have too many to love, like the matchbox car story), but I'm interested in doing some sewing for them. Not too many outfits, just enough for seasons, special occasions, and fun times as the mood strikes.
When we bought this house almost eighteen years ago, there were two sets of shelves in the basement family room, complete with glass doors. My dolls live in one and Dan's collection of Nutcrackers live in the other.
Here are my girls starting with the top shelf:
They are, left to right, back row, American Girl Samantha, now being reinvented as me in the fifties, a porcelain doll I bought in Levenworth, Washington, Tonner's 14" Betsy McCall, and Rose, a Magic Attic doll. Front row: Mary Englebreit's Ann Estelle and her friend Sophie, and my tiny Betsy McCall.
This shelf features dolls I have created to match characters from a book series and a movie. On the left is a Just Pretend doll I remade into Amelia Peabody, famed egyptologist from the turn of the last century, from the book series by Elizabeth Peters. On the right is Eve Tozer (another Just Pretend doll), from the Tom Selleck movie, High Road to China. The wonderful accessories were obtained when the internet doll store, iDolls, went out of business.
And last, here is the bottom shelf. The little doll in the desk was purchased in Boise at a toy store. She has a sweet face and one eye that doesn't work quite right. I just couldn't leave her behind, never to be loved. The center doll is a Heidi Ott doll I've named Amalia after my Norwegian grandfather's mother. I had fun making this outfit for her. The doll on the right is another porcelain one my son and daughter-in-law brought back from Germany.
So there you have it. I still play dolls. Actually, what I really do is dress dolls, with plans to make more clothes to dress them in. It's fun and it keeps me out of trouble. (However, my love of shoes has carried over to the dolls, and there are many adorable ones just waiting to be purchased!!!)
Yes, it is fun to dress dolls. And it fits well with the quilting concept. I love watching for patterns and new ideas, and I admit I don't act on many of them, but I still like to follow along and collect what I like. I, too, have pretty much closed the door on more dolls, but then again . . .
ReplyDeleteYour original "tiny" Betsy McCall fared better than mine. I played with mine and she didn't last. Apparently that doll was poorly engineered and there aren't many of her around. Anyway, I bought a Tonner "tiny" Betsy McCall, just because I wanted to.
Did you just buy the Tonner "Tiny"? I did play with my Betsy as her glued together knees will attest. I have the little booklet of clothes and can't believe how expensive some of them were!! Seven dollars in the late fifties!
DeleteI bought tiny Betsy about 10 years ago, after you introduced me to Tonner. She disappeared from their line, didn't she? I have yet to do anything with her.
ReplyDeleteHa! Yes, the original Betsy would not stay together at the knees. Not long ago I read an article on how to fix her knee with a toothpick.
$7.00! Rip-off! I saved my allowance and bought several cute outfits for her -- you know, down at the "Merc." I had the pretty pink negligee and penoir. I still have the penoir, but I tossed the nightgown because it kept fraying at the hem. It got shorter -- and shorter -- and shorter.
Yes, Tonner doesn't seem to make any of the little girl dolls any more which is a shame because they were beautiful. I truly wanted them all and it took all my resolve not to buy them. If I'd known they would be discontinued, I think I'd have given in. I still haunt ebay at times.
ReplyDeleteI had a pretty party dress for my vintage Betsy but can't find it. I think it was a victim of deterioration, like your nightgown. I looked again at the catalog/booklet tonight and a couple of outfits were $7.98. Dan says to multiply by 10 to get today's price comparison which equals $80! Suddenly the AG prices don't seem so bad.
Yup, the Merc! That's where mine came from, too.
I checked the Tonner site and saw only one "My Imagination" doll. Frankly, I didn't see much there and nothing that intrigued me.
DeleteMy first Barbie also came from the Merc -- and her clothes, too.
Oh -- and I forgot to say that you have a lovely display of dolls.
My Barbie and her clothes came from Oud's Drugs. Remember the little toy department in the back? I put my Barbie on lay-a-way and paid for her a little at a time.
DeleteYou DO have a lovely display. I know this blog is about you, but may we also see Dan's Nutcrackers?
ReplyDeleteHello? Hello?
ReplyDeleteLOL Yes, there is someone home, but the muse is still missing. I did feel a faint stirring today *before* getting your message, so maybe one of these days...
DeleteI hoped you would take my message in the spirit of levity. I didn't want to pressure you, but on the other hand, I thought you should know we miss you. Can you show us pictures of little dresses for Africa, baby quilts, or perhaps additions to your stash picked up in your travels?
Delete