A year ago in August, while we were visiting Bruder Bear, I made my annual trip to a nearby quilt shop. It's one I love to browse because they carry many fabrics that are to my liking (I'm a traditional quilter and fabric lover). They also have a huge wall of marked-down fabrics in their classroom. Since I make baby quilts to give away at the pregnancy center, I'm always thrilled to find good fabrics for a good price. And finding boy fabric is an even greater plus!
As I wandered along the wall, a set of fabrics jumped out at me--boy fabrics! I grabbed a shopping cart, loaded in three bolts and went straight to the checkout counter. I think I bought the whole bolt of each one, which is quite daring for me. I brought the fabric home, stashed it in my closet and . . . well, nothing. Until a few weeks ago.
My biggest problem was that one of the fabrics had big motifs on it and if I cut it into small pieces, even medium-sized pieces, the pattern would be lost. Another fabric was a stripe, which can be tricky in a quilt, especially if one is like me and slightly OCD about straight lines. I pondered multiple patterns and books and came to no decision. Then, suddenly I had an idea. Why not make a large center of the big motif fabric, frame it with the striped fabric, and add a final border. Wait, did I have a fabric for a final border?? Why yes, I did--found in my closet was a perfect match in solid yellow. And so I began.
It turned into one of the cutest quilts I've made! The stripe is the perfect accent and is repeated in the binding. The third fabric I purchased has much smaller motifs and is perfect for the backing.
Such a happy quilt and so much fun!!


OOOOO! Another post! Good for you! And you're being productive all over the house -- in the kitchen, in the sewing room . . .
ReplyDeleteThe quilt is delightful. What will you do with it?
I will donate it to the pregnancy center. I have another quilt, one for a girl, to donate, too. I love making baby quilts and love the thought that they will keep some little one warm and cozy.
Delete