Friday, September 28, 2018

From Soup to Socks

It's a gorgeous, gorgeous fall day.  The windows are open and I can hear the neighbors' rooster crowing and I can't stop telling Dan how beautiful it is and how much I love hearing that rooster.  It's a perfect day!

A blogger I have followed for years and years, Judy of Patchwork Times, has shifted her crafting focus from quilting to knitting.  (She's also the one who alerted me to the joys of the InstantPot.)  It's been a while since I picked up my knitting needles for anything other than an occasional kitchen dish cloth, but this week she inspired me with some links to a series of knitting videos.  I finished my last dish cloth and looked at my stash of sock yarn, picked one, and cast on.  


This was an, ahem, expensive yarn I ordered probably five years ago, and it's so soft and beautiful.  On a day like today, I love knitting in the sunshine so I can see all the colors this hand-dyed yarn has in it.  

I've been knitting away all week and have made much progress.  I turned the heel yesterday and am almost done with the gusset.  It's been at least four years since I've done a sock, so I'm sticking close to the pattern, which I see I downloaded in 2010.  Here's where I am today:


While I'm knitting, I can look up to my favorite corner of the living room.  It's decorated for fall, and I just love how it looks.


And here's a bright showing from one of our pots of gerbera daisies out on the deck.  



Wishing you all a beautiful fall!

6 comments:

  1. It's wonderful when a corner you love is in your own house. Glad you can still follow Judy in her new pursuit. A blog I loved changed from the retro home arts to mid-century glamor, which interests me not at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way, but it is wonderful that a spot I love is right in my own house. I change out the quilt on the rocker and things on the table for the different seasons. You can't see the wall above the table in this picture, but there's a fall wall hanging there.

      Mid-century glamor? Hmmm. I've never been fond of the styles or hair or makeup of that time period. Oh well, to each his (her) own!

      Delete
  2. I have one area I decorate -- the display stand in the eating area. I can't see it from the living room, but I can see it when I'm in the kitchen and when we eat, and the lights send forth a glow.

    It's easy to romanticize an era in which we didn't live. The glamor blogger was born in the '60s, so she doesn't have a firsthand perception of the '50s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried my hand at knitting last year. I made a not so great stocking hat. I dreamt of being an amazing knitter (knittress?) and making socks, but knitting is HARD! I’ll probably just keep buying socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your "keep buying socks!" Sounds like you started pretty high up the knitting chain. Have you tried just a simple kitchen dishcloth? They're small and even if they're not perfect, they work for washing dishes and counters! They're a good way to get some practice in and learn new skills.

      Delete
    2. I think you're right about very simple projects, Chris. Socks and hats and slippers are perhaps more complicated than we realize. Dishcloths are flat, and many people prefer them to store-bought.

      Delete