I seem to move back and forth from the sewing room to the kitchen. As you can see, life at the resort is very exciting!! (Actually, it's just the way I like it.) And now that fall truly seems to be here, both by weather and calendar, I deemed it pot-of-soup time.
Monday morning I said as much to Dan and decided the soup of choice would be potato. He immediately volunteered to be my potato peeler. I think he was in the mood for soup, too. Because I knew I was going to use my InstantPot, I told him we had some time so I puttered and he worked on his exercises. His knee continues to do amazingly well, and I'm sure it's in part because of his dedication to the exercise regime his physical therapist has him on.
About four-thirty I declared it potato time and hauled out my six-quart pot. Dan got out the potatoes and we went to work. One of the sites I found when I first got my electric pressure cooker was Pressure Cooking Today (link on sidebar). I was excited when she announced she'd written a cookbook and I ordered one immediately. It has not disappointed! Her recipe for chunky potato cheese soup is sooo good!
As Dan peeled, I sauteed diced celery (used in place of onion) in the pot, then we both chunked the potatoes and added them and chicken broth to the celery, along with seasonings. Soon, very soon, all was cooked and cheese, more chicken broth, half and half and bacon were added. I use reduced sodium broth and fat free half and half. Mmmm... We ladled it all into our bowls and practically swooned as we ate. And then scraped every last drop with our spoons.
It makes a lot and we'll enjoy our third go-round tonight. As good as it was the first night, it, like soups seem to do, tastes better with each passing day.
I can't recommend this book enough. I've made many recipes from it and each one is excellent.
I ordered that cookbook on your recommendation. It was in the living room when stepson Murray visited, and he was so impressed with it that he ordered one while he was still here. Two years ago I was disappointed in the available electric pressure cooker recipes online, but this is improving now.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have blamed you and Dan for picking up those bowls and licking them!
Have you tried any of the recipes? I hope Murray like it--did he already have an electric pressure cooker?
DeleteI think I looked at a recipe for pork chops for a guideline as to the timing. Murray enjoyed perusing my copy, so I'm sure he was sold on it before he ordered. Yes, I think his is a "Bella." And he said that he loves it, but he didn't have a lot of recipes.
DeleteI've never heard of a Bella before, guess there's quite a few brands out there now. I'm so happy with both my 3- and 6-qt InstantPots. The other day I had them both going--rice in the 3-qt and orange chicken in the 6.
DeleteHere's a link to the Bella product line: https://bellahousewares.com/. It's a less expensive line found in marts. I think I have the 3-quart Instant Pot which I now find rather limiting. However, I don't plan to buy another. (I have a lot of electric cookers!)
Delete