The stairway is coming along. Nothing ever seems to go as planned, but Dan has been able to figure out a plan C, or D, or even an E. He had hoped to be able to remove the stair treads to make the sheet rocking easier, but in addition to the many nails used to attach them, he was frustrated to find they had also glued them down. And those treads were not coming up. It's taken more time and considerable measuring, but he is succeeding!
Meanwhile, on the sock knitting front, I have finished the first sock of my second pair and am started on the second. As much as I loved the first pair, I think I love these even more! Or maybe it's one of those things that each new project become the favorite.
This is the first sock and I'm knitting toward what will be the toe of the sock. When number two is finished, I'll post a picture--these look good with my favorite shoes, too! I'm also perfecting my stitch. I didn't realize that I am apparently a fairly loose knitter, and my first pair is roomier than I'd really like. When I tried this one on when I finished it, it was perfect. Oh, and I also did a little pattern modification. I gots skinny feet. :-)
And finally, for your viewing pleasure, Dan snapped this photo of Buddy this morning. He decided to clean out his "whatever" drawer in the dresser (you know, the one with pocket stuff, cards, treasures, etc.). He took the drawer out and put it on the bed while he cleaned and turned back to the dresser to find this:
How he jumped up in there and turned around...
Mike has been feeling sorry for Dan -- and Mike hasn't even seen the before pictures. I told him it was my understanding that the sheet rock would have to be replaced -- and he commenced to recite on the difficulties of sheetrocking a stairway. Tell Dan that Mike feels for him. I know, though, that Dan is equal to this challenge.
ReplyDeleteI love the socks. I'm a little loose with my crochet gauge, too. Everything I make is a little bigger than it should be. Trouble is -- I like the feel of my work when it's not so firm.
I made another trip to Jo-Ann today. I actually had a crocheted sock pattern book in my cart, but the yarn isn't on sale any more, and I also think it's picked over because it was on sale. So, once again, I didn't buy. Please post for us the name (or number) of the Kroy yarns you are using.
I'll tell Dan that he has Mike's sympathy! We were busy today with odd and ends of things, so he didn't have a chance to do any work. I told him it would be there on Monday. :-)
DeleteOkay, here the scoop on the yarns I used. The first pair was made using Patons Kroy Socks Jacquards in Aqua Jacquard, and the second pair is using Patons Kroy Socks Ragg Shades in Brown Rose Marl.
They are nice yarns to work with, but I'm hardly a sock yarn expert. According to some books I checked out of the local library, 75% wool with 25% nylon is a very good blend for socks and both these yarns fill the bill. They are 4-ply which is, apparently, also a good thing.
Hark! As I type, I hear Dan working on the sheet rock. He must have decided he can get a little work in before supper. (Now if I only knew what that was going to be!!)
Thanks for the info on the yarn. I just thought it would be sorta fun to use the same colors and compare how they worked up.
DeleteYou are going to be so thrilled with your freshly redecorated stairway. I can hardly wait to see what you do with it.
It'll be fun to compare the socks! I'm just finishing up the heel on sock #2. Had to stop to do some Easter cleaning when Dan finished up today. He's almost got all the sheet rock up. Then the taping begins. All I can do is cheer him on. We'll need to start looking at carpet next week.
DeleteI want to be retired!!! Everyone is having constant fun. I love a good project. Nick and I worked very hard on our new garden space this weekend. I asked Mom to share the photo with you It feels so good to work hard and be rewarded with beauty out the window.
ReplyDeleteGood work on the socks!
Also, love the photo of mischievous Buddy.
Hi Hallie--your mom sent me the picture of your new garden and it looks wonderful!! Did you plant everything this weekend? It was a lot of digging! How did you haul everything home? Love the lattice work, too, and wonder if you made them. I'm a bundle of questions! :-) So your windows look out on this?
DeleteI also like that it appears that you have a "woods" area behind your garden.
We DID do it all this weekend, and MY, there went the weekend! We hauled everything in my VW Jetta and it took more than one trip. Luckily, there was a flatbed cart here at the condo building that we used to transport from the car to the patio. Although Nick considered making the trellises himself, we decided that it was worth the fairly reasonable cost to just buy them at Home Depot. This garden space is making me so happy--I just hope everything lives.
DeleteOh, and yes, our building is up against a hill that is preserved as a city green belt. We don't get a lot of direct sun light, but I really like that I don't look out my window onto other people. I AM a country mouse at heart.
Aha! Trellis! That's the word I couldn't think of so I used lattice. Good thing the building had the cart--those plants can be heavy! (Like I lift them myself when we buy--NOT. Poor Dan!) So glad the space is making you happy. You and Nick did a fabulous job. Live plants, live!
DeleteI'm a country mouse, too, so I know just what you mean.