Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Easter

Inspired by my friend Kathy, here is a picture of me from Easter 1951. I would have been about 19 months old. I'm sure Mom must have made my little dress.  


My parents lived in a little cottage, one of a row of seven. When they talk about their neighbors, it was a who's who of their town's young marrieds.  They moved from there about the time of my second birthday, to a duplex with two bedrooms.  Yes, up until then, I shared a bedroom with my parents, typical of many of my small friends of the day.  

May your Easter be blessed as we celebrate Jesus' resurrection!

7 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! The photo of baby Aunt Chris is very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly a darling picture.

      Interesting about the small family quarters. I wasn't moved from my parents' bedroom until I was four because my next room was upstairs. And yes, that move was traumatic for me. Upstairs was unfamiliar territory and downright spooky.

      Delete
    2. Hi Hallie! We did have a happy Easter, and I hope you did, too. :-) Thanks for liking the old (very!) photo of me. I need to ask Mom for details about that dress. I know she'll remember.

      Delete
    3. Kathy, I don't think I ever realized that your parents used the downstairs bedroom at one time. Apparently most us spent out first years in our parents' bedroom. I can see that your move would have been a big deal. Which room did you go to?

      Delete
    4. Ooooh!Do ask your mother about that little dress.

      Yes, my parents used the front bedroom downstairs when I was little. When Harriet married, they moved to that front bedroom upstairs and took me with them. I had a cot in the back corner. When Joni left for college, I was moved to her room and that's where I continued. Joni attended summer school sessions at U-I and graduated in three years, so she didn't come home much. I know she came sometimes, though, and I don't remember what sleeping arrangements were made for her.

      Delete
  2. I remember playing in your upstairs bedroom when we were probably 8 or 9, and earlier in the area off the living room by your dad's studio (later became the dining area) where, if I'm remembering correctly, you had your dolls. I guess it's getting to be a few years ago now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago -- too true. The composite dolls have darkened and the doll clothes are limp if not deteriorated. But -- life goes on.

      Delete