Wednesday, April 11, 2012

King Arthur Finds

For years, finding a bag that would fit around loaves of bread machine made bread drove me crazy.  I tried bags I found at the store that tied with a twist tie.  They were invariably too short.  Ditto gallon zip locks.  I would have to slice off several pieces and slide them down the sides or put them another bag.  I really didn't like to do this because it was a hassle and also because I prefer to slice a number of hours after the bread has cooled because it seems to cut more easily.  I like fairly thin slices, about 3/8th of an inch.  

I've mentioned the King Arthur Flour catalog before. They sell several sizes of bread bags and I was never certain which size to order, so I didn't.  Finally, last year, frustrated enough to throw caution to the wind, I decided to just make a decision and order.  Their double bread bags turned out to be perfect!!  Absolutely perfect!  They don't come with twist ties, so I used ones I had and they worked fine, but then I went to a Pampered Chef party and got one of these as a prize.  After a few days, the light bulb went off and I used it on a bread bag and loved it!  I think they work way better than a twist tie.  King Arthur sells a similar product if you don't have access to Pampered Chef.  I'm certain they are made by the same company as both say they are made in Sweden.  I bought a whole Pampered Chef set for myself a few months ago and use them all the time and bought a set from KAF, along with the bags, for Mom and Dad as part of their Christmas.


It's so nice to have just the right "tools" to work with!

5 comments:

  1. That's a good find! Do you purchase by the box? I bet you'll be able to use a single bag for quite some time, especially since you're just using it for bread.

    Seems like Mom had bags big enough for bread maker loaves, but maybe I'm fabricating that memory. Do you ever do special breads like pizza bread? Mmmmm...pizza bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I'd forgotten all about pizza bread. When the kids were gone and Mike started his anti-fat kick, a lot of favorite foods went by the wayside. (In defense of the anti-fat kick, it should be noted that I don't know where I'd be weight-wise if we didn't try.)

      I think my breadmaker might be smaller than Auntie Chris'. And besides, I made it for supper and there was never much left.

      I wonder, Chris, when I order from KAF, should I enter through your blog?

      Delete
    2. Hallie, the bags come by the hundred-count, so that's what I bought. They are just in a bag, no box. I often do reuse the bags, just depends on whether I've frozen the bread or not. Once the bread and bag have been in the freezer, condensation and crumbs seem to make a mess and I'm not in love is washing bags.

      Pizza bread? We used to take a loaf of French bread (purchased), slice it the long way, and make pizza on the cut sides. Is that what you're referring to? I've never done it with any other type of bread. Like your mom, I haven't made it since the kids were home. But not for any anti-fat reason, just because we can't eat one all by ourselves.

      Kathy, my bread machine makes a one-and-a-half pound loaf. We don't buy any bread, so ours is used for sandwiches, etc., and I like the large loaf. Which reminds me--I made a yummy oatmeal raisin bread recently that made fabulous French toast! Mmmm....

      I don't think it matters how you get to the King Arthur site--through the address bar or through the link on my page. I just put in the link so people would know where to find the items if they wanted.

      Delete
    3. My first bread machine was a Toastmaster, I think, and the book that came with it had a recipe for "pizza bread." It called for chopped pepperoni, cheese, and pizza spices. The kids loved it. That bread machine burned up years ago, but I think I still have the book. I should check and copy the recipe onto a card.

      I thought maybe you would get "kick backs" from KAF if I entered through your blog.

      Delete
    4. Mmm, that pizza bread sounds delicious! I think Ann's boys would love it, too.

      No, no kick backs from my links. Just a way to get to the item if people are interested in knowing more about them.

      Delete