Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Christmas of Yesteryear

Christmas of 1955 has been mentioned here (and here) before, but evidently it was a well photographed Christmas because I have more photos and another story to tell.  

In addition to the dolls I got, I also got a little baking set, complete with pans and cake mixes.  These were meant to be baked in a regular oven; there was no Easy Bake Oven in those days (in fact, I just googled it and apparently it made its debut in 1963).  

A day or so after Christmas, I made my first cake and had my picture taken with it.  You can tell that I am quite happy with the results.  


My brother was just three at the time and asked to have his picture taken with it as well.  Please note that in the following picture, he is not looking at the photographer. Please note, too, where the fingers of his left hand are.  


Yes, my little brother was looking to see where I was, and his little hand was preparing to lift that cake from the plate so that he could have a little bite of it.  And yes, he did get a bite.  Poor Bruder Bear, he has taken much grief for this over the years--apparently I was was not too thrilled with his getting the first bite of my first cake.  If I could do it all over again, I'd definitely share it with him!  

A couple of notes on the pictures:  That darling checked dress I'm wearing?  It was red and white and just one of the many lovely Christmas dresses my mom made me over the years.    

If you look closely at my brother's right leg (you can click on the picture and make it a little bigger), you'll see what looks like some type of string around his leg.  It's the tie down to the toy gun and holster he got that Christmas and always wore after that.  :-)  Ahh, the '50's and the era of Davy Crocket and all those cowboy shows on TV. "Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear..."  -- The Lone Ranger

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Great reminders of '50s living.

    Well, what strikes me about John and the cake is that there's a photographer behind that camera who knew what was happening. I think Bruder Bear is the wrong fall guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad usually took the pictures, but somehow I remember that Mom took these. I think by the time she realized what was happening, it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! You do look very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the lesson is -- There are some things that happen in life that we just can't do anything about, except perhaps to forgive. It's difficult for both parent / teacher and child, but we have to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got caught up on your blog, I still have tears in my eyes from the chuckles I got!

    The baby bear cake snatcher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The above comment was sent to me via e-mail by Bruder Bear, so I posted it to show there are no hard feelings! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know -- I'd still be careful with my freshly baked cakes when Bruder Bear is around.

    ReplyDelete