I know you're all wondering if I have recovered from my relentless stream (or so it seemed to me) of illness just before Christmas. I am relieved to say that I have. However, I'm steering clear of salsa and other spicy foods for a while yet.
It does appear it was the water, or something in it, that caused many of us to get sick last Monday night. The details are sketchy, but the evidence seems to point that way. The good news is that by the time my tummy was feeling better my cold seemed to have run its course.
Dan, bless his heart, held down the fort and even made a trip to the woods to cut our tree. He came home saying it was the best he could do, but I think it's one of the most gorgeous trees we've ever had! While it's not as full as he would have liked, its shape is perfect! I just love looking at it. Here he is putting on the lights (take note of the chair):
And the finished product:
While he was putting on the lights, the wrapped presents were stacked around the fireplace to await their placing under the tree.
When Dan was done with the lights and the garland, I began hanging the ornaments and then went to the kitchen to start some cookies. I heard him yelp that the tree was tipping so I hurried back to the living room to help. Remember that chair? I had scooted it toward the opening to the hall while I was decorating and as I moved in to help Dan, I took a step back, caught my foot in the legs of the chair and tumbled backwards into the pile of presents, smashing several of them. I will draw the curtain on the scene that followed. We were able to salvage the presents with new wrapping, and, as they say, the show went on. At least I didn't throw up and the gouge on my arm and the bruise on my backside are healing.
Oh -- that's too bad. We can sacrifice a few presents if you were all right.
ReplyDeleteIs that a child-size chair? I have three Sunday school chairs that I use on the farm as stools. Your fall notwithstanding, I love those chairs for their stability and they are just the right height to get me to upper shelves, cupboards, etc. I also stow one in the pantry at the town house. Again, it's just right for so many chores.
I remember my mother climbing a ladder to decorate the tree in a pair of slippers -- the kind with a band over the top of the foot. I told her that was like wearing a pair of 'nothings' and that she should wear shoes while climbing ladders. As it happened, Daddy gave her a new pair of slippers that Christmas with a note: "Here's a new pair of 'nothings' for your feet."
No, it's a full sized chair, just has a short back on it. I do have a short stool I use for upper shelves, so I know what you mean, and at school I had a little kindergarten chair I used all the time for a footstool and a step stool.
ReplyDeleteCute story about your mom's slippers! Guess he must have heard you? :-)
I think Mother mentioned to Daddy what I thought of her dangerous footgear, and he already had a new pair to give her for Christmas.
ReplyDeleteIn re-looking the pictures, your tree is certainly lovely, as are the gifts and the teddy bears -- and the doll. Maybe you would tell about the doll sometime. What about the angel on top of the tree? Did you make her?
Ouch ouch! I hope that didn't damper your spirits. I think I would have spent the afternoon pouting.
ReplyDeleteHallie, I didn't pout--I pitched a gigantic fit and cried and then I rewrapped the presents. Poor Dan--I think he wondered where the crazed woman on the living room floor came from!
ReplyDeleteKathy, I made the doll years ago. She needs a little redo of her face and maybe your comment will inspire me to freshen her up. The angel on the top of the tree was purchased at a craft fair at Karen Kirkham's house back in the very early '80's.