Saturday, December 17, 2011

An Unexpected Date


Dan and I were both finally feeling pretty good yesterday, so he invited me to dinner.  I'm a smart girl--I said yes! We bundled up and drove downtown to our favorite Mexican restaurant.  We ordered chicken fajitas to share (hey, we've both been sick, those germs have already been shared) and enjoyed every last bite. They were extra delicious.  

As we left, we were "discussing" where we'd parked when we were suddenly surrounded by laughing people.  It was old friends and former neighbors John and Cyndi, their son Andrew, and another person we knew.  They'd been trying to get our attention and finally just moved in and stopped us.  

After a few hugs and more laughing, they mentioned they were going across the street to a showing of It's A Wonderful Life and asked if we'd like to join them.  Why, yes, we would!  While we were eating we'd noticed the marquee on the one of our town's historic theaters had it listed for a special weekend showing, and had mentioned that maybe we should go Saturday night, but then remembered we had a party to attend at five.  Problem solved!  (Don't ask why didn't think of going last night on our own.  We just had that discussion and decided the answer was, well, we don't know.  Maybe we thought it was too late to go?)

As we approached the theater, we were surprised and delighted to note they had carolers singing, and singing beautifully!  How fun!  Inside, which has been beautifully restored, we were offered free hot chocolate and popcorn in the foyer.  Better and better!  We all settled in and throughly enjoyed this wonderful, classic movie.  Each of us had seen it a number of times, but all of us were too young to have seen it on the "big screen" when it first came out.  What a wonderful, totally unplanned Christmas treat!   

7 comments:

  1. Jealous! Every bit of your evening sounded great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Hallie. Sounds like a truly delightful evening. Couldn't have been better if you'd planned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes unplanned events just work out perfectly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! Were they showing it at the Nuart?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris I love to read your blog. I was thinking about your Bio, and thought that you need to change retired teacher. You are still teaching so many of us new things. As I was getting names ready on the computer to put on blankets I thought again how fortunate I am to have you as a friend. You are so willing to help. I love that God brought you into my life along with all the wonderful embroidery projects. These little girls are not going to know who gave them the blankets with their name on them and that is so much fun for me. Thank you again Chris I love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, it was at the Kenworthy.

    Marty, thank you for such sweet words. I love you tons, too! And thank you for blessing those little girls with secret gifts of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like Marty has a secret project going. What fun! And what she says about Chris is so right.

    ReplyDelete