Monday, November 29, 2010

Cozy Day, Fun Day

As I began to empty the dishwasher this morning, I realized it would be a good day to swap out the everyday dishes for our Christmas dishes. Everything was clean, making it the perfect time.

I've had Christmas dishes for close to twenty-five years. In our old house, they were stored in boxes in the cubby underneath the stairs, but in this house their home is in a wonderful set of cupboards at the end of the main floor hall. It's just a few simple trips (well, maybe more than a few) up and down the hall to swap. No unboxing the Christmas dishes and boxing up the everyday dishes. Love it!

As I was moving the dishes, I noticed a few other things so I began to replace candles and a few wall items. That led to the closet in the boys' room where I hang seasonal wall quilts. Down with the autumn wall hangings and up with the Christmas ones.

I have yet to begin opening my many boxes of Christmas decorations, so it's just a hint of Christmas so far. But with what's out, a few lighted candles, and Christmas music on my iPod, it's looking like Christmas is on its way. A fitting start to the advent season.


We have about eight inches of snow and an amazing forecast for 100% probability of snow in the next thirty-six hours. It was an absolutely gorgeous day with some blue sky above the snowy landscape and the perfect time for meatloaf, baked potatoes and baked squash for supper. Yum!

5 comments:

  1. Christmas preps on target here as well. My Christmas dishes -- same as yours -- are stacked in the same cupboard as my everyday, so it was just the old "switcheroo." I agree -- so easy! And I have lighted candles in my sewing corner. It feels mellow and festive.

    And -- more "great minds think alike" -- we also had meatloaf for supper last night. Tonight: pheasant enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must truly be kindred spirits! :-)

    I made a huge meatloaf so I wouldn't have to make dinner again for a few nights. There's enough left for tonight, but instead of baked potatoes, I might try noodles of some type. Or maybe not. I'm so thankful Dan likes leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun that you all are decorating for Christmas! It sure looks like the season up there in Moscow with the snow. The most Christmas activity that is happening here is a lot of Gingerbread tea and the display of a Christmas kitchen towel that Mom made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, gingerbread tea sounds yummy. I had to give up coffee and tea is finally catching on with me. I make numerous cups each day.
    The Christmas towel sounds fun and I'm sure it adds a perfect Christmas touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gingerbread tea that I like is by Celestial Seasonings and it can be hard to find. Look on end caps and special displays, not necessarily with the regular teas. It's delicious with a splash of vanilla creamer. :) Tea makes getting your required water intake a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete