It's been a while since I've gotten a doll for every Christmas, but about fifteen years ago Dan did buy me Samantha, an American Girl doll. I still love dolls and have a display case of them in the basement. And I still love sewing for dolls. Since I have no granddaughters, I sew for my own dolls which include some from my childhood as well as some I've purchased for myself.
When I reached high school age, my best friends and I exchanged presents among ourselves. Shopping in our little town was limited, but there was a Rexall Drug which had a gift section and a large selection of perfumes and accompanying powders, etc. One Christmas I remember getting Revlon's Aquamarine soap and powder, and probably perfume. The powder was unique in that the powder itself was in a squeezable handle topped with an aquamarine colored powder-puff ball. Wish I had it now! :-)
My friends and I, in our quest to be young adults, even began exchanging Christmas cards. I loved reading the cards my family received every year, and couldn't wait to begin sending my own. I can't remember whether we actually mailed the cards to each other, or whether we exchanged them at school. I still love getting Christmas cards and for that reason, continue to send them out.
Right now I can still see the handwriting on cards my parents received every year from a couple named Ray and Mae. Ray always sent the cards. I never met him, but Dad knew him from the war where they both served in the 101st Airborne Division. Ray had been a medic and I remember Dad thought Ray was one of the bravest men he knew because he jumped without a gun, only his packs to help others. (Ray always held a piece of paper under his writing to help him keep his lines straight and thus his cards were very distinctive.)
Meanwhile, I began my Christmas baking yesterday. Two batches of shortbread cookies, stamped with Rycraft cookie stamps.
Here's my mixer churning away on a batch. The little paper on the front left has recipes for the cookies and came with two stamps from Matt, Christmas 1990. I know because I wrote on the paper. I wish I did that sort of thing more often.
Here are some cookies, stamped and ready for the oven. These designs are the ones Matt gave me.
That was twenty years ago and he was in high school. But the memories come back every Christmas when I made the cookies.
I find it so inspiring that you sew for your dolls. After agonizing over what to do with my old dolls -- and wanting some new ones -- I gave myself permission to indulge. I have other things to do right now, but the dolls are waiting for me. They are so patient.
ReplyDeleteThe cookies look wonderful. Will you store them for Christmas? If so, how? I have some cookie stamps but haven't used them successfully. I should give it another try.
I like cards, too, as you know. And like you, I will always remember some of the people who sent cards -- friends from the parents' pasts, people I never met.
kathy, I freeze them in tupperware lined with waxed paper and they've always come out perfectly. When I run out of tupperware, I use ziplock bags. I'm still a big Christmas cookie baker and between family, gifts for friends and neighbors, and church, I go through a lot.
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you bake them and that they are then shared. How satisfying!
ReplyDeleteI like cards, too. I always save one of the cards I select for myself because I like them so much. Isn't that silly? I haven't done cards the last few years due to time constraints and honestly, because of the lack of cards I receive in return (I know that's not the spirit). However, I'm thinking that I might just do cards again this year. It will depend upon whether I find some that I really love.
ReplyDeleteI still have to decide if I'm going to make or buy. I'd better decide soon or I'll be sending late. I have, however, done a little Christmas shopping, so I'm on my way!
ReplyDeleteI well know the time constraint, but here's some reassurance for you--some day you'll be old-er (not old!!) and have time. I hope when that happens that people still send out cards! The times they are a changin'. But then, I have to remind myself that cards are relatively new historically and things ebb and flow. Or would that be flow and ebb? :-)
I have noticed that I receive many cards after the holidays. I read an article recently that said this is becoming the trend. You can just do so much before Christmas . . .
ReplyDeleteKathy, yes I have several friends who send out Valentine's cards instead of Christmas cards. I boughts my cards and now I just have to do them!
ReplyDelete