When he called, his first words were, "Hello, Great Aunt!" We knew this little guy would be born today, but I was still surprised to get the call so early. What a great start to the day!
I've been a grammy for over eleven years, but something about being a great aunt sounds, ummm, old. Just the term sounds old. I remember growing up with my paternal grandmother's brother and sister living close by. We just called them Uncle Bevil and Aunt Eupha (they hailed from Missouri by birth--hence the unusual names) and they were two generations removed and always seemed old to me. Truth was, they were younger than I am now!!! And now I'm a great!

Welcome to the family, Grant Ragan! You are surrounded by so much love!
Congratulations! I know you'll put the GREAT into Great Aunt. ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fine little fellow he is! I think he looks like a Cummings.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't quite six when my first nephew was born. The only aunts I knew were very old from my perspective, and I told my mother I would rather be a grandmother with her than an aunt. I became a great-aunt about the time I became a mother.
And I know this is so special for your parents, Chris -- great-grandparents!
Oh! I should have said "great-grandparents again!" Yes, I was momentarily confused, but it's special all over again - now celebrating with John.
ReplyDeleteHallie, thanks for the sweet comment! I just can't believe I'm at this stage of my life. :-)
ReplyDeleteKathy, I got a chuckle from your first comment. It's been a while since we had a new little one, so it does almost seem like a different generation. I talked to Mom this morning and she is indeed thrilled and celebrating with John.