Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I Won...and the Story Behind It

Candace, over at Squash House Quilts, had a give-away the other day and I won! She asked her readers to comment with a favorite Christmas memory and I knew immediately what I'd share. Here's my "winning" comment:

Some friends made us a beautiful gingerbread house when our kids were little (two and three), and I proudly set it in a place of honor in the living room. Imagine my surprise when I got up the next morning and went to admire it and it was gone. Everything!! Even the cardboard it was displayed on. Then I noticed a trail of crumbs on the floor. I began to follow them and they led to the bathroom trash where I found only the cardboard and the paper cones that had been icing covered trees. My adorable children had been in bed when the gift arrived, gotten up and found it, and had eaten it all up!!!

When I found out I had won, I sent her a follow-up to the story:

You asked if they got a tummy ache, and amazingly, they did not! I still can't believe they ate everything. The husband is the one who brought it to our house, and I hadn't even thanked the wife since it all happened so fast. I knew I had to call her and thank her, and I didn't know what to say. I finally called and told her what had happened (I should tell you this was my husband's boss and his wife) and I was amazed and relieved when she burst out laughing and couldn't stop! Several years later they gave each couple in their department another one (though not so detailed) at a party, and brought ours out last with a wire cage around it and an old lamp cord attached to it!!! An "electric fence" for ours! Oh my did we all laugh. And that one made our son sick when he ate it with permission. Go figure. He must have lost his immunity on the first one!

So, what did I win?


A bag of Mary Ellen's Best Press in every scent (I love Best Press!) and Moda's Lumiere de Noel by French General!!! And a candy cane. :-) Thank you so much, Candace!! I love everything!

7 comments:

  1. Very nice giveaway that you won, congrats! What a great story. That's the story that will be told 50 years from now at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! It's great to be a winner! I also enjoyed the story about the gingerbread house. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts, Chris. You are so deserving of Candace's gracious giveaway.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this story, Chris. I remember when it happened.

    This was not quite in the same category, but I also won this Christmas -- a door prize at the Bernina shop -- sparkling cider in a beautiful quilted wrap and $10 gift certificate. At least I understand what I won. I never heard of the products you won, so please explain what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy, Best Press is written up like this on Mary Ellen's site: "There wasn't any new product for ironing in years - then I got sick and tired of using aerosol starch! So now, I've introduced a clear crisp starch with a lovely scent that makes ironing more enjoyable. It's in a non-aerosol can, so it's environmentally-friendly and you can see how much is left, too. There's no flaking, clogging, or white residue on dark fabrics. A special stain shield protects fabrics, and the product helps resist wrinkles. Best of all, it's more effective than any starch you've ever used."

    I bought some at Stitches and Petals last year and love it. No blobs like the aerosol cans sometimes spray out. My little bag has small spray bottles of each of the six scents (including one no-scent)available.

    The Lumiere de Noel is a pack of charm squares--five-inch squares each of the fabrics in that line of fabrics. I LOVE charm squares and like to use them for simple runners. There are lots of books out now, too, for using them in projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for explaining. That's a great prize.

    I have been experimenting with charm squares. In fact, I almost wrote to ask if you could recommend a pattern for a charm square quilt. Instead I decided to make a doll quilt. Onward! -- after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can still remember when Matt & Annie eat the GB house--I even retell the story! Merry Christmas, Great Aunt.....and no, you are not old!

    ReplyDelete