Saturday, November 27, 2010

Saturday, Sewing Day!

Yes, I made it into my sewing room today although I almost missed it. While getting some new rolls of TP out of the hall closet upstairs, I realized my hand was wet where I was touching the paper wrapper. Oops! I felt around, and sure enough, there were drips coming down a pipe that travels up through the floors. It's part of an old radon detection system that was in the house when we bought it. I put in a call to Dan who was again at Eric and Ann's to give him the bad news.

He got home within half an hour and thankfully, no roof leak, just some snow that blew down the vent and melted. He did some preventative work in the attic and just left to go back to Ann's.

Since he didn't have to go up a ladder and onto the roof, I was able to go to my sewing room and work on the project I'd just started when I made my discovery. Here's my completed project. I stitched out the design several days ago, and promised to show what I did with it when I came up with a plan.


And here's a closeup of the embroidery design which came from the November free CD that Bernina offered this year.


I've never done a pillow with this type of edge before, but the design didn't seem to want my usual ruffle around it, and a plain knife edge didn't seem the thing, either. The whole pillow is out of my usual color comfort zone, but I like it. I don't know how it will go with my other pillows and decorations, but then maybe it's supposed to be a gift for someone. :-)

4 comments:

  1. You did your customary excellent job on the pillow. I like it. And sometimes it's good to get out of that comfort zone.

    I was standing in the bathroom last night when I felt drips on my head. Mike said it was melting snow coming through the vent. It didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks for your comment on my new wallpaper. I tried out many different ones last night and this was my final decision. I liked last year's, but decided on a change for this year. I was hoping no one was trying to read while I was continually changing--some backgrounds made the words almost impossible to read and I didn't want to change the font color.

    Our bout with the snow was a little more involved--the ceiling of the closet has a huge water ring around the pipe and some of the texture fell down onto the top shelf. Good thing no one looks at the ceiling in a closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the pillow you gave your mother?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is. I think it will go well in her living room or perhaps on their bed. She really seemed to like it--she keep hugging it. :-)

    ReplyDelete