Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday, Baking Day

Dan was helping Eric on their remodeling work today and I had every intention of sewing. But then I remembered that I would need to have a meal ready for Sunday for a couple at church who just had a new baby. They live about thirty miles away, so the plan is for several of us to have meals ready for them in the church freezer so they can just take them home and eat them as needed.

I decided I'd get some cookies made today and then make up a casserole tomorrow. So to the kitchen I went and began a batch of chocolate chippers. As I was baking them, I thought about how good the rolls I'd made for Thanksgiving had tasted, and how some more would be tasty with the split pea soup I had in the frig from several nights ago. Hmmm...

I washed up the mixer bowl and beater, ran the dishwasher, and decided that yes indeed, I would make up another batch of rolls. Back to the mixer, out with flour, yeast, eggs, and oil. Oh how I love my KitchenAid mixer! I dumped the dough out on the counter and gave it a few kneads for good measure and set it to rise.

I finished up some wash, put on my boots and coat, got the mail and retrieved the garbage can (garbage day), made some tea and sat down with the mail and a book. I woke myself up a little while later (smile) and punched down the dough, formed the rolls, let them rise again, and finally popped them in the oven. Dan got home just as I was taking them out. Is there a better smell than freshly baked bread?

So now it's evening. I didn't get near my sewing room, but I have a pile of rolls on the counter and we'll enjoy them tomorrow.


And now the big question: Will I make it to my sewing room tomorrow?? Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. What a nice place this is! Nostalgic wallpaper with good smells, good tastes, and good will.

    Stitching tends to lose out when I have other things I need to do. But it sounds like you really enjoyed the time in your kitchen.

    My KitchenAid is less powerful than yours. Perhaps the bowl is smaller, too. It sloshes flour all over the counter no matter what I do. Have you heard of this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My original (circa 1980) KitchenAid was probably like yours, with a 4 1/2 qt bowl. I wore that one out making bread and replaced it with another just like it about nine years ago. I do think I remember a sloshing problem, but I bought a pouring shield when they came out with them and don't remember any trouble after that. Three years ago, Dan bought me a new, 600 watt, 6 quart mixer and that's what I use now. The bowl is huge and I have no problems with flour even without a shield.

    Since they make the shield, I'm pretty sure others have had the same problem you write of. If you don't have a shield, I think I have one here I could give you--if I can find it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your reply. A shield came with my machine and I tried it once. As I recall, the flour still flipped out. I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other thing to be sure to do is start on stir, and then slowly go up; if you're making yeast dough, go no higher than two. That's what my original recipe book said to do, and it's always worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rolls were really yummy! We enjoyed the ones you sent over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whee! Fun holiday theme on your site! Those rolls DO look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallie, I posted that recipe some time back. It's easy to make and I think it could easily be halved. And they freeze beautifully. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, I remember! Perhaps we'll give it a try at Christmas when there are more of us to eat them while they're fresh out of the oven. I'll let you know how ours turn out!

    ReplyDelete