It was shady and perfect. Then Dan kept noticing dead limbs in the trees so he got his little pruning saw and went to work. I attacked some nearby weeds, and before we knew it we were hard at work and enjoying every minute. That is until the sprinkler system started up! I happened to be standing right over one sprinkler head and I wish someone had a video of me when it went off!! Needless to say, we were done for the day. :-)
Our poor garden. We had such a wet early summer, and Dan was so busy, we didn't get it planted until July. Yup, July. It's looking really good right now, and we're hoping this perfect weather lasts another couple weeks so we can harvest green beans and squash. Here's a picture of the beans. If you look closely, you'll see a sweet little bean waiting to be picked.
I mentioned in a previous post that I've been working on some samples for the shop. Every fall Bernina's OESD design company puts out some special CD's which are free with a qualifying purchase. They have traditionally been free-standing lace ornaments and this year's first one is no exception. I stitched out three of the designs and they are quite lovely. I also stitched a design (non lace) from the second CD onto a tea towel I made into an apron. Here's a view:
The snowflake is 3-D and here's a closeup of it:
I'm looking forward to making some more. Oh, and I made a new litle fall topper for the coffee table using Sandy Gervais' Gobble Gobble turnovers. I've become a real fan of simple little toppers for a splash of seasonal color.
Have I mentioned lately how much I love my 830 and my Handi-Quilter? I do!
That snowflake is really something! How did you do that? Did you embroider two, stitch them together and then trim? How did you get it to pucker like that? I'm so curious!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good question, Hallie! You do embroider two of them. If you'll enlarge the picture of just the snowflake, you'll notice there are little knobs on the points. When the design stitches out, some points have the knobs and others have a loop. There are also some knobs and loops further down on the points. They all button together and that's what keeps them together and forms the shape! Pretty cool. huh?!
ReplyDeleteAh ha! Yes, I see the knobs and loops now. That's very clever! So, does your machine cut as it sews? I just don't understand how it does those ornaments. Do you maybe just sew right on that tear-away type paper and then tear the ornament from the backing? Sorry to be so dense--I haven't gotten to spend a whole lot of time witnessing the wonder of these machines. Very impressive, though!
ReplyDeleteImpressive projects, Chris!
ReplyDeleteI intend to make a qualifying purchase and receive my CD award, Hallie, so maybe I'll be able to show you how to make lace ornaments, including the snowflake Chris made.
I, too, was unable to plant here at the farm until July. Yes, July! Watch the mwhomestead for an update on my raised bed garden.
Hallie, the designs are stitched out on a product called Badgemaster which is like a heavy plastic wrap, only made of cornstarch. When the design is stitched, you tear away as much as you can and then rinse with water. You can rinse it all out, or do as I do and stop before it's all gone so what's left acts like starch. After the lace was dry it was stiff and then I buttoned the pieces together. Does this explanation help?
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love your little table runner, wow look at that perfect binding!
ReplyDeleteFall is here, it's glorious!
:) I totally understand now. Thank you!! I was also wondering about the starch factor so that's clear, too! I remember Mom making some snowflakes the old fashioned way with a teeny tiny crochet hook. I'm sure it took much longer than with the machine.
ReplyDeleteAs Mike (Hallie's dad) says, "Machine embroidery -- doing 20 hours of handwork in 20 minutes."
ReplyDeleteMike is right--we can use the machines and go for production, or do it by hand and enjoy a long-term process. There's a place and both and I'm grateful for the choice. :-)
ReplyDeleteI, too, am grateful for the choice. I do love hand embroidery and crocheted snowflakes.
ReplyDelete