I loaded the first eight jars and knew we were in business when the collander was still plenty full.
Here's the first canner load, waiting for the pressure to drop so I can add the second batch.
And here are the jars, all lined up and done. As I've written this, I've been listening to the ping of jars sealing. What a sweet sound!
And more good news: there are more baby beans growing, and the weather is supposed to stay warm! Ping!
Lucky you! It was so late by the time I planted in the raised bed garden at the farm that I was studying the backs of seed envelopes to find produce that would develop before frost. So, I planted some beans and they were gorgeous -- before the grasshoppers literally obliterated the plants. I also planted lots of lemon cucumbers because I thought the foliage would at least be pretty in the planter, and I guess grasshoppers don't much care for cucumber foliage. The cukes are still coming on. No, I will not be canning them.
ReplyDeletePing indeed, good for you! My garden was a total failure this year, except for my garlic and potatoes. I love home canned beans, they're the best!
ReplyDeleteI probably am an outsider here but I am more than ready for COOLER/COLDER weather. I grew up south of Buffalo, NY and by now back there, a frost has already happened - or soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm missing REAL Fall, even though we do get a "touch" of it here.
A part of me agrees with you, Cindy. The days are growing shorter and this heat just "ain't" right. The forecast for this coming Saturday, Oct. 1, is for 88. That's hot for autumn in the Pacific Northwest.
ReplyDeleteBut -- since it's happening in spite of us -- I guess it's great that gardeners are enjoying a longer season.
In what kind of liquid do you can the beans?
ReplyDeleteWell, gang, I think I picked the last beans of the season yesterday. We got seven more pints and they are all safely tucked away in my nice, neat basement pantry. :-)
ReplyDeleteHallie, the bean liquid is just boiling water. I do the cold method, so I don't cook the beans before canning them. I just snap them, put them in the jars, add a little salt, and fill with boiling water. The beans cook as they are processed in the pressure canner and the water becomes slightly green and "beany", just like the ones from a can you buy in the store. Except these beans are way tastier. :-)
Nice! Someday I will can beans, too. When that day comes I will call you and take careful notes on what to do. It doesn't look too hard, but I'm unfamiliar with the pressure canner dealie. It looks like you won't have to buy beans all year--that's awesome!
ReplyDeleteCall away, Hallie! Green beans are way fun to do because there's no peeling or pitting. :-) Snapping them is fun. Pressure canning is easy, but it does take a time or two to get comfortable with it. There's something very satisfying about canning and then putting those jars on the shelf. Those farm ladies your mom's been writing about would know. :-)
ReplyDeleteOMG! I can't believe anyone has a canner as sparkley clean and new looking as yours! Mine never ever looked like that plus I saw a mixer bowl in a picture that looked that good too. Yikes, girl, slack off a little so the rest of us don't look so slovenly. LOL. I have retired from canning - gave away all my jars but still freeze corn. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete