Dan went out with a friend after church to look at some land the friend is in the process of purchasing and to cut some wood. A tree had blown down near the fence line and they cut it up after running the survey lines and finding a section marker. I stayed home and took a nap! Yeah, as usual, Dan was out being busy and I was resting easy. :-)
When I roused myself from the sofa where I'd been curled up under the quilt daughter-in-law Amy made us last Christmas, I decided we'd have leftover soup for supper. I got the last of some artisan bread dough out of the fridge and shaped a loaf. I love that it's fall and time for cozy food again.
The bread turned out perfectly. I've figured out the best temperature and time for my oven. The towel is one I made using a Mary Mulari machine applique design. Isn't it perfect for fall?
The soup is an easy one I found in Paula Deen's magazine (September/October 2009) and it's very yummy.
Paula Deen's Black Bean Soup
- Five slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 14-oz cans of black beans, drained (I used 50% less sodium)
- 2 14-oz cans chicken broth (I used reduced sodium)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
In medium Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium high heat until it begins to brown. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 4 minutes until onion is tender. Add beans, broth, cumin and chili powder. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
In container of a blender, spoon half of soup and process until almost smooth. Return processed mixture to Dutch oven and stir to combine. Paula suggests garnishing with sour cream and chives. I did not. (And I also did not use onions because they don't like me.)
I told Dan that if I ate this soup and bread at a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant somewhere I'd be singing its praises to friends. Yes, dinner was that good. :-)
Mmmm... sounds yummy! I think soup and bread are the food of the gods!
ReplyDeleteA cute, cute towel, Chris.
ReplyDeleteJust what I need to wipe my face off after I get some of that delicious-looking bread.
Happy Week to you!!
A pretty towel and a good meal. Yes, it's fall, but I'm still wearing my cropped pants and now a long-sleeved shirt. No jacket yet.
ReplyDeleteMike is ever so much more active than I. I notice that I can stay happy around the house. He loves to be out and about.
P.S. -- found my oil.