Monday, October 25, 2010

Cozy

After a long, beautiful, warm fall, we seem to have come to a turning point. The wind has howled today, the rain has beaten against the windows, and there's snow on the mountain. But then, it is the 25th of October.

Dan was in the woods all day, and as the weather got stormier, I decided it would be a good day for soup and bread. I worked up the last loaf of the current batch of artisan bread dough and baked it, then I got some ham from the freezer and some dried peas from the pantry. My pressure cooker made short work of a big pot of soup and we're set for dinner tonight and tomorrow. Dan just got home, and we'll eat when he emerges from the nice warm tub.

Tomorrow, since dinner is in the bag (or pot, to be more accurate), I plan to spend the day in my sewing room. I did lots of little chores around the house including changing the sheets on our bed, so I'm certain I deserve a fun day. :-)

My last two projects have been table runners. One was for a new lady at church who lost all her possessions in a strange series of events. She worked overseas for a few years and had her things in storage. She arranged for her bank to make the necessary payments to the storage facility, but for unknown reasons, they stopped after a year. The storage facility then sold her possessions at auction for non-payment. Imagine coming back home to find everything you own is gone. And you don't even have the money! Many people have pitched in to provide Patty with new things, and she has been overwhelmed. My little part was this runner for her new table.



It was my first attempt at invisible, turned applique and I'll definitely try it again. Patty loved it and yes, she cried when I gave it to her. Such a small thing, but I pray it will help in some tiny way to make up for the loss of so many precious things from her past.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful to have the opportunity to help someone get a new start.

    Just 30 miles to the south of you -- and perhaps 2,000 feet lower in elevation -- the storm just can't get going. It rains briefly and quits. The wind blows for 10 minutes and quits. It is cooler but still moderate. And the days grow shorter and shorter. As you say, it is the 25th of October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good to help. I can't imagine having all my things be suddenly just gone. And gone forever.

    It always amazes me how different our weather is, but I guess the elevation accounts for most of it. I don't miss the heat of the valley, and I still love snow. Especially if I am warm and cozy at home. (As opposed to walking or driving in it.) :-)

    ReplyDelete