Thursday, October 14, 2010

Signs of the Season

We've been either very lazy or very busy around here. The busy days lead to the lazy days! Dan checked the green beans on Monday and lo and behold, we had more! Out came the carefully put away canner and back to work we went. It froze that night, so we know we're done now. That, and he pulled up the plants as he picked!! My nice neat basement pantry is really looking stocked now.

I changed out some wall quilts and here's one of my favorites, made years ago. It's a "herky jerky" pattern, done by "hand", not machine embroidery.


Amazingly, we still have some beautiful roses climbing below our deck:


And the scarecrow has made his yearly appearance on the front porch.


Hope your fall is arriving with all its brilliance. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. So cute! -- and looking very clever. I just told Mike I should put out my collection of Halloween stuff but it feels kind futile at this point. Maybe I'll just bypass the ghouls and go for pumpkins.

    We didn't quite get a hard freeze the other day, and my cucumber plants on the south side of the house were still looking perky. Honestly, I have more cucumbers than we can ever eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean the pantry is becoming full again and in need of straightening?

    I'm giving thanks for people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And that's right -- the busy days lead to lazy days at this time of life. And there's nothing wrong with that, I tell myself. I'm not sure if it's our age -- or just because we're retired and have the time.

    Hallie said she thinks you canned so many green beans that you'll be on a green bean diet for months. She noted your picture of the pressure canner and asked me about it. She has never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I think it's both--being retired and being older. I'm finally learning I don't have to do everything fast, that there's time enough to get things done and it's a major victory after years of hurrying. And I'm slower than I used to be because of, well, that age thing. :-)

    Tell Hallie we plan to eat more than green beans. :-) We have enough to have a jar a week and that's just right. Those pressure canners are a bit intimidating when you see them, aren't they? But tell Hallie they are easy if you just follow the directions.

    ReplyDelete