I mentioned that we went to Costco a week or so ago. One of the things we purchased was a rotisserie chicken for the amazing price of $4.99. I meant to have it for dinner that night when we got home, but we were later getting to Costco than I had anticipated, which meant we were later leaving, so we popped into Taco Time and got a bite. Which was interesting because they served it to us in a bag, which we carried to an available table and unpacked. Such strange times. . .
Anyway, the chicken became our Saturday night dinner, and then again on Sunday. And there was so much left!! A day or so later, I decided to chop some up and make chicken and black bean enchiladas. The recipe said it made four or five, but I ended up with a dozen! I froze six and we ate the other six that night and the next. And still there was chicken left, so I chopped it up and froze it. Saturday night I decided to make pizza and opted for white sauce and the frozen chicken, along with a little Canadian bacon, red peppers and olives. We ate the pizza for two nights and I ate the rest for lunch today. (Dan was so kind to let me have it!) And we still have those six enchiladas in the freezer. That $4.99 chicken has already fed us numerous meals with two still to go. I feel kind of like it was the loaves and fishes! I think I'll be buying another soon.
And stew? We have had a very cold November. We have snow again, with more forecast for tonight and tomorrow night. I love cold weather cooking--soups, stews, breads, muffins. Right after breakfast this morning I pondered supper. I knew I had some potatoes and celery in need of using up, so I thought of stew. I have a recipe I clipped from the paper years ago called Five Hour Midnight Stew. It's fairly simple, but you have to remember to get started early as it bakes in the oven for five hours as the title states.
It tasted so good! I had some leftover muffins from a couple of weeks ago in the freezer so I zapped them to complete our dinner. There's lots of stew left, so I'm good to go for a few nights. ♥

I like to cook, but I admit that leftovers are the greatest! That chicken served (is serving) you well.
ReplyDeleteYes, leftovers are wonderful! I'm always so thankful Dan enjoys them as I have friends who say their husbands refuse to eat leftovers. I can't imagine!
DeleteOften a dish is better the second time around.. My mother-in-law told me about Mike's Uncle Bruce who demanded two big meals a day -- lunch and supper -- and nothing on the table for supper that had been served for lunch. I was speechless. How controlling! And probably wasteful.
Delete