Saturday, October 31, 2020

A Family of Readers

Here it is, the end of October and Halloween. We've never been big Halloween people, with the exception of hoping for good candy--you know, Snickers, Peanut Butter Cups, etc.  I remember being totally bummed as a kid when someone put an apple in my bag.  Junk food, that's what Halloween was all about, and by the time it was November 2, all was gone but the dregs which would most likely be tossed.  Oh, and this lovely poem my brother used to recite:  Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat. LOL!

But, that's not what this post is about.  It's about reading.  Yup, reading.  I've loved to read as far back as I can remember.  I know my parents read to me from the time I was little, and once I could read for myself, I was never without a book. I used to get in trouble in grade school for hiding a book under my desk and reading when I was supposed to be listening.  (I remember the first day of my very first batch of students and a dad brought his son to the door and told me that the son liked to read all the time but would always know what was going on in the class.  I told the dad I completely understood as I'd done the same thing as a child.  Dakota, if you are reading this, that boy would be you!)

Fortunately, I married Dan who is also a reader. Our house is full of books, they line shelves and fill boxes labeled by author.  And it's no surprise that our kids turned out to be readers, too.  And now, our grandchildren.  

We were at Costco yesterday and I spotted the latest Wimpy Kid book.  Cam and Keat loved Wimpy Kid books when they were young, and now Daniel does, too. They're kind of "graphic novels" in that there are stick drawings and words.  (They are truly funny.  I read one last summer and laughed my way through it!) Anyway, when I spotted the new one, I snapped a photo of the display and texted Ann.  She said, "Yes, please!"  

When we dropped off some other things we'd picked up for her, I asked if she wanted the book to remain hidden and she said no.  They've been quarantined for the past two weeks as Keat and Eric had tested positive for the virus (no real symptoms, just a brief fever and lethargy for a day or so) and poor D has been a good sport but getting very tired of the whole situation.  The book was just what he needed.  When I handed it to him his eyes lit up and he kept saying, "Thank you!"  

Ann texted us this picture a little while later.  

Under his blanket, totally engrossed.  Made this Grammy's heart smile.  ♥

3 comments:

  1. Reading is wonderful, and you are a virtual encyclopedia of good cozy reads. Mike is re-reading the Horatio Hornblower series. Books become our best friends.

    I'm still making doll clothes for a 10-year-old girl. I suggested it was time to step back from that but was advised that she needs the distraction of something new in this time of staying at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, books do become our best friends! And maybe your girl will love dolls all her life like we do?

      Delete
  2. I haven't changed a bit! I still love to read. Thanks for fostering that early on in my life. So important!

    ReplyDelete