Saturday, February 29, 2020

Two Breakfasts in One Day

Waaay back in the last century when I married my sweetheart, I discovered to my shock that he did not eat breakfast!  I told him that was terrible, breakfast was the most important meal of the day and would get him off to a good start.  And then I discovered another thing:  he hated cereal, hot or cold.  Uh oh.  So began my years of making him a hot breakfast every morning.  

Recently I found a recipe for making oatmeal in the crockpot that was supposed to be yummy and take only an hour of cooking.  I like oatmeal, so one morning when Dan was gone, I decided to try making some.  The recipe said it would serve four and unfortunately did not reheat well.  Hmmm.  It also needed a smaller crockpot than I had.  Hmmm.  Again.  Then I remembered that my favorite Instant Pot cookbook had some oatmeal recipes so I checked them out and decided to improvise. If it didn't work, I could just throw it out and no one would be the wiser except maybe the garbage man.

It turned out to be a phenomenal success.  And not only that, when I made it one day when Dan was home he consented to try a bowl.  He loved it!!  He even asks for it now, as he did yesterday morning.

Here's the scoop: 

Instant Pot Oatmeal

1 1/4 cups old fashioned oatmeal
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 cups milk (I use vanilla almond milk)

Stir everything together in a 3-qt Instant Pot and set for 1 minute at high pressure.  Let it sit for 10 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure manually.   Stir and enjoy!  

Dan really likes raisins in his; I don't, so I just put the raisins in a small bowl, cover with water and zap in the microwave for 30 seconds and then let them sit until the oatmeal is ready.  I drain them and he stirs them into his bowl.  

After forty-eight years, he can still surprise me!  The original recipe comes from Bare Feet in the Kitchen and I've cut hers in half.  Besides how good it tastes (so creamy and just the right texture), I love that while it cooks I can get myself ready for the day or sit with my coffee and the paper.  No babysitting it while it's on the stove.

And then last night, for supper?  We had breakfast again--waffles and bacon.  Both breakfasts were delicious!!  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the oatmeal recipe. I'll give it a try. I am not a fan of hot cereal, but I do eat oatmeal. Mike often makes hot cereal for himself. -- And yes, I love waffles and bacon for dinner. You can't get me to cook much in the morning, but I do cook in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've heard that some people call breakfast for dinner "brinner". Waffles are way too much work for mornings, I agree. And since I learned to make bacon in the oven, it's a snap. I can concentrate on making the waffles instead of worrying about burning the bacon.

      Delete
    2. I never heard of making bacon in the oven. I'll research that.

      Delete