Wednesday, February 12, 2020

And It's Lincoln's Birthday!

Hello Bloggy Friends, how is it the middle of February already?  Of course, with leap year, February is a little longer this year, but still. . .  And Lincoln's birthday.  I remember in elementary school that this was a big day. We made black stovepipe hats, log cabins, and talked of splitting rails and so on.  Now poor Lincoln is combined with George Washington and it's just another Monday off for federal and possibly state employees.  Do they color cherry trees and make hatchets any more?  Oh well.  

And what's been happening at the Resort?  Well, after two trips by the Culligan man, we seem to have conquered the wet basement, much to Dan's relief.  I think he was dreaming of wet basements for days, poor man.  We have finished our sorting and he's built a platform for the bottom of the laundry room pantry so boxes no longer sit right on the floor.  Of course, we're hoping for no more floods, ever, but it pays to be preventative.  

And me?  I've been obsessed by knitting.  Our Ann always calls January knitting month, but we have both extended it this year.  She's knitting a lovely throw for her upstairs family room, and I'm still knitting small things for dolls.  I took the Mary Maxim hat pattern and by using different sized needles and yarns, made hats for two other dolls.

Magic Attic girl Rose. The mirror at the side gives full view
14" Betsy McCall in hers and AG Samantha in new teal one

In both cases, I followed the pattern exactly and they came out perfectly just with needle and yarn differences.  So glad, too, that I bought all the different sizes of pom pom makers.  

And now?  I'm working on a sweater I've made before, this time using an App that my longtime blog friend, Judy of Patchwork Place, recommends.  It's called Knit Companion and is available both iOS and Android through their App Stores.  You can download a free version that is quite helpful and usable, and of course you can upgrade to two more levels.  

I'm using a free 7-day trial of both upper levels right now and attempting to learn all I can so I can decide if I want to pay the amazing price of $19.99 per year for them.  At first I thought, $20 a year?  No way! (Sometimes it's hard to get my brain out of the last century when it comes to money!) But then I did a little calculating and it came to $.05 a day for the use of the program with all its bells and whistles.  I especially like being able to highlight the row I'm working on and even enlarge the page to make it easier to read.  

Here's a look at my iPad with the pattern I'm working on.


It also works for charted work such as cross stitch and crochet and those amazing Scandinavian sweaters.  

So I'll sign off for now, as I'm almost done with my little sweater and I'm longing to see which doll it looks best on.  It's a sunny yellow, just the right harbinger of spring on this cold, mostly cloudy day in mid February.  ♥



5 comments:

  1. Exactly what does this app do? It looks like you upload your pattern into the app and then you can highlight where you are in the pattern -? Nowadays, I have trouble picking up where I left off in my crochet pattern, and sometimes counting rows is a challenge. And if the pattern says, "Work even for ten more rows," I make a list and mark off the rows. Otherwise, I have no-o-o idea where I am. And I'm not a beginner, you know! On the other hand, I've mostly made afghans where I pretty much memorize the pattern. Doll clothes are different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring in your pattern as a PDF, then you open it in the App and there are row and column markers, counters, and even a little marker you make by touching the screen to show where you stopped working. Google Knit Companion and watch their little into, then I recommend this lady's videos on YouTube
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWJkr4vieJs She's a knitter, but the App works the same.

      Delete
    2. I haven't given the app a try yet, but I'll keep it in mind (hopefully).

      I loved what you said about thinking of $20 as it was last century. We have that here, too. I'm appalled at the donation amounts that non-profits now propose. Anyway, it never hurts to think twice, even if one decides to buy in.

      Delete
    3. I recently had a call from our alma mater and I think they started their request at $250. I was shocked. Maybe I'll never get my mind out of the last century!

      In other news, I'm really liking the app!

      Delete
    4. Regarding our alma mater, Mike says we have the legislature to blame. It seems to me that non-profits in general used to be grateful for what they could get us to give. Now they unabashedly ask for more.

      I haven't looked into the app yet. I've been machine embroidering. Hazel requested a "Chiefs" logo on a t-shirt.

      Delete