What a weird title, huh? Well, grab your coffee, pull up a chair, and I'll tell you all about it.
Here at the Resort, we have our own well, which necessitates a room we lovingly call "The Culligan Room" due to all the big tanks it contains to make our water usable. We needed to add a new tank a week or so ago when one of the old ones began to fail. Tuesday morning Dan appeared in the door to our bathroom as I was getting ready for the day and said, "We have a problem," and then stopped. I waited for him to say something like, "I think we should eat out tonight and we need to decide where to go." He does that. But finally he said, "The basement is flooded."
That's right, he said, "The basement is flooded." And so it was. The new tank had done its weekly back flush and apparently it was considerably stronger with the new tank and the drain couldn't handle the flow. So the floor did. Down the hall, into the family room, into Dan's office, the laundry room, and all over the Culligan Room itself. Even into the closet of the guest room. Oh the joy.
So, we gathered up towels, laid them down and began. Thankfully we have a good shop vac and Dan went to work with that. We hauled out boxes from the downstairs pantry and the guest room closet and as we mopped and vacuumed, we'd take a break and look in the boxes. Hmmm . . . who knew we still had . . . and as the water disappeared, so did quite a few of the found items. So, the flood did have its upside! We had a plumber friend of ours send over one of his workers and he used some kind of pressure thingy to blow out all our drains, but we're not sure if there was a clog that might have contributed, so the Culligan guy will come tomorrow to test and re-calibrate if necessary.
We still have more cleaning and sorting to do, and we definitely have to replace the carpet because this latest flood was just the last straw for it. (My long-time readers may recall the floods our old washer caused a few years ago.)
And just to change the subject and harken back to my last post, here's a picture of me with my first loaves of bread! In the little tiny kitchen of our little tiny 8'x35' trailer, our first home sweet home.
It was the start of my love of bread baking, and I still have those wedding present Corningware loaf pans. ♥

Sorry about your flood. I am well-versed on the subject. And when you have to deal with boxes of stuff, it adds to the predicament. Did it encroach upon your sewing room?
ReplyDeleteSuch a good picture of you with your bread! Thanks for posting it.
I know our flood didn't hold a candle to your watery disaster. I'm thankful we were home and were able to take care of it before irreparable damage took place though. My sewing room was far enough away that no water entered.
DeleteI'm glad your flood wasn't a total disaster, but I still sympathize. Any water problem constitutes damage on some level and you have to get right on the clean up or it just gets worse. And when you have to lay new flooring, it's as bad as moving. Will the new carpet extend into the sewing room?
DeleteUgh! I agree that the flooding sounds like a total pain. Also, such a cute photo! Your first breads look PERFECT! I've never made my own bread, but I'd like to learn. I'd also like to make macaroons someday--probably with my baker mom. Can you tell I've been inspired by the Great British Baking Show?
ReplyDeleteHi Hallie! Yes, a pain for sure, especially for Dan who spent hours bent over using the shop vac. He didn't use the long handled attachment because it made it too far the motor to pull up all the water efficiently.
DeleteTry some bread! It's so fun to make, and there's something about kneading it that is totally therapeutic. Even though I use my kitchenaid now, I still do some hands-on kneading--there's something primal about it.
I don't make bread "by hand." Mother said she didn't have the strength in her hands to knead the dough, so we didn't have home-baked bread, except for her cinnamon rolls -- and the Swedish rings at Christmas. Of course, now we have bread machines, but it's not the same as old-fashioned home-baked.
DeleteI don't know if I've ever baked macaroons, but I'm willing to try.