Thursday, January 30, 2020

Of Bread and Knives

I think it's already established that as a modern career-oriented young woman of the late twentieth century I was a, well, not a failure, but not a die-hard, either.  I modeled myself more after my great-grandmothers than I did the roles being touted.  I loved and still do, all things home, knitting, quilting, baking, big pots of soup, and so on.  

This morning as I was cutting my latest loaf of bread, I pondered.  I wondered how many loaves I've sliced over the years. I made my first bread when we were newlyweds.  I made bread off and on for a number of years, but then Dan gifted me with a Kitchenaid mixer about 1980 and I began to make all our bread. I did this until I got a bread machine and used it to continue.  So, lots of loaves of bread.  

When we emptied out my parents' house, there weren't many things I said I wanted, but there was one thing I was adamant about: my dad's bread knife.  No one fought me over it; I think they knew I was serious. Dad had taken over most of the cooking years before and making bread was one thing he really got into.  He did it using a bread machine.  Dad was a true lover of gadgets--and a sharp knife.  


I used it this morning. Whenever I use his knife, I can see my dad's hand so plainly, holding it, slicing.  ♥

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! The knife is a kind of bond between you and your dad, who taught you so many wonderful things.

    I consider that we came of age at a time when the world was sitting on the cusp of great changes. Perhaps careers were opening up to women, but I had been prepared for domesticity. As a young adult, I was confused. Why, I could do a much better job of growing up today, but I would still love the rural home arts. I was born that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we were both born homebodies, one of the reasons we've been friends for so long. And I also agree that we were born on the cusp of change. What to do, who to be? I don't know that it's any easier today though.

      Delete