Monday, January 20, 2020

Algebra Rules!!

I grew up in the '50's and '60's--you know, back in the last century.  It was a new time for girls and for the first time in history (or so they told us), women could be any thing they wanted to be.  I was a pretty good student, and so it was assumed I would go forth and do Great Things.  I could become an engineer and design new things, I could learn to fly! Oh, the list was long and impressive.  No more careers in nursing or teaching for the new women.  So I took math classes.  Algebra I and II, geometry, and "advanced math", a would-be trigonometry class. And then . . . I became a teacher.  

All those math classes (and more in college), what need did an elementary teacher have of them?  Well, I do use geometry in my quilting.  And just this week, algebra came in very handy.  How you ask?  Well, I'll tell you.

I loved the doll hat pictured in my last post so much that I immediately set about to make another. (And I really wanted to try out a pom pom maker.)  I found some left over lilac yarn and churned one out in short order.  But now my doll needed a sweater to match!  I had downloaded a simple cardigan pattern from the Norwegian lady and liked the looks of it, but it called for finer yarn than I had.  What to do?  Then I remembered that a blogger I follow who knits had recently mentioned that any pattern could be knit in any yarn.  Hmmm... She also suggested that a knitter knit a test swatch with recommended yarn and needles to be sure it comes out true to size.  (Here is where I confess I have never done this. Apparently I like to live dangerously, at least in my knitting.) 

After a brief pondering, I choose a needle size and picked up my yarn and knit a swatch.  I knew from the pattern directions that 30 stitches was supposed to equal 4 inches.  My swatch came out five and a quarter. Algebra to the rescue:  5.25x=4, x=4/5.25, x=.76. Yes! All I had to do was multiply all the stitch numbers in the pattern by .76 and I was ready to go.  Did it work?



Why yes, it did!!  It fits little Amalia like a glove!  And that pom pom?  Perfection!


Who says we'll never use algebra in our regular lives? Not me!!  ♥

6 comments:

  1. I wish I'd been good at math. It still scared me a bit. I was excellent at English though. The hat and card I are adorable. You have a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of look at Math as being a detective, looking for clues to "x". :-) Thank you for stopping by and for your nice compliment.

      Delete
  2. Good for you! Mr. Chase and Mrs. Towles would be proud. And the end product is totally cute!

    I don't bother with a swatch either. I just start in, and if it's not right, I start again. I was amused responses to a survey question -- "What knitting rules do you break?" Many said they didn't do a swatch.

    And -- your blog is a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ol' Mr. Chase and Mrs. Towles. They did try hard to teach us math, bless their hearts.

      Yes, swatching always seemed like a waste of time, but in this case, totally necessary. I'm still amazed that it worked, but I guess I shouldn't be. Math rules!!

      Delete
    2. I have a totally different view of math and science than I did as a young person. Wish I'd paid more attention to the scientific method.

      I do struggle with my gauge. I tend to work too loosely.

      Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see what you make next.

      Delete
    3. Science and I have never been close friends except for biology. I actually likes math quite a bit.

      I think my knitting is pretty right on because things tend to fit as they should, but redoing patterns is absolutely a new endeavor!

      Delete