I think past posts have made it clear that I am a lover of cookbooks. I have many, and even often have one on my nightstand for bedtime reading. Yes, it's true, I do! I kind of rotate though my shelves and when one comes up again after a long time, it's like meeting an old friend. And one cookbook is especially like that.
I found this cookbook in a little shop the first time we went to the ocean as a family. Actually, it was the first time I was ever at the ocean! Dan bought it for me and then he and the kids autographed it.
Ann (known in those days as Annie), was five and about to enter kindergarten. Matt was six and headed for first grade. A week before our trip, the middle finger on his right hand was broken when it was accidentally smashed in a door and he was sporting a splint and bandages on it following stitches. Hence his shaky signature. (We have pictures of him digging in the sand with his left hand, right hand held up in the air to keep it clean and dry.)
The cookbook is a thoughtful read on mindful cooking, and the handwriting on the title page makes it priceless.
♥ ♥ ♥
What a nice memory! But I can't help but wonder about the recipes in the book.
ReplyDeleteThey center on using whole ingredients, cooking from scratch and using food resources wisely. I've used several recipes from the book and they were good, but I use it more to inspire me to cook when I'm in a 'no cook' mood and to be a wise steward.
DeleteInteresting! Sounds like vintage '70s.
DeleteYes, in one way, but the cookbook was commissioned by the Mennonite church and concentrates on world food shortages and how we can help by being mindful of our own eating habits and then giving to help others
Delete