I didn't drink coffee until I was thirty-five years old. I made coffee for others in the offices where I worked while I worked my way through college, and after Dan and I married, I made coffee for him every morning in the harvest gold coffee pot we got as a wedding present. But I didn't drink any of it. It always smelled wonderful, but taste? Not so wonderful.
Winter of 1985 I was hired to finish out the year for a teacher who was ill. I had been subbing for a couple of years and had a good rapport with the principal and staff at the school, so I was thrilled. That it was the school where Matt and Ann attended was a plus. The class across the hall from my classroom was taught by a good friend of ours and every morning he'd come into my room and tell me coffee was ready and I would say I didn't drink it. You guessed it, by the end of the year, I was drinking coffee. It helped that he had an in with a salesman for a really good brand of coffee and used it in the pot in his room. Cheap coffee it was not.
I did discover, however, that the addition of a flavored creamer really upped my love of the stuff. The question now was, was it the coffee or the creamer? Who knows, but I can't have one without the other unless it's a cup after a big dinner with some yummy dessert. Then I drink it plain.
When we moved to Moscow and I began teaching full time, I had a microwave in my classroom and would have to reheat my coffee numerous times during the day. Since I would often leave my cup here and there in the room as I moved about with the kids, I would sometimes have to have an "alert" to find it. Finally one of the kids would go look in the microwave and say, "It's in the microwave and it's cold again. Would you like me to reheat it for you?" That often happens here at home now, and then, when I finally find my cup in the microwave, I have to reheat it--again.
My good pal Kathy had a recent blog post about finding a holiday carafe for sale on Etsy and that she had ordered it with good results as it arrived in like-new condition. The post caused me to wonder if she used it to keep her tea warm throughout the morning and then led me to ponder my usual scenario of repeated trips to the microwave as my morning progresses. Apparently I'm consistent! ♥
See? You just develop your particular habit and stick with it. Even when Mike isn't here, I use the carafe.
ReplyDeleteI hasten to add that it's really important to take in our liquids, so rewarm if you must, but do drink your liquid.
I've never been a big drinker of water so it's usually coffee that provides my hydration although I'm trying to make an effort to drink just water. It's slow going. And somehow tea just doesn't do it which is strange as I come from two parents who drank tea all day long.
Delete