My longtime readers know that I became a lover of quilts at an early age because I slept under wonderfully heavy quilts made by my paternal great-grandmothers. All hand-stitched, they tied me to a generation I never met, but often heard about. My dad's father was killed in an automobile accident when my dad was just fifteen months old and these women had helped raise him while his mother worked as many as three jobs at a time to keep her family afloat.
The quilts were worn when I was little, and by the time I was grown they were worn out and gone. But that's why they had been made--to be used. I was somewhat of a romantic growing up and I viewed things from the past through rose-colored glasses, not realizing at the time that the making of the quilts came from thrift and many evening hours of plying the needle. These ladies did not own even a treadle sewing machine although both were accomplished sewers. At any rate, I wanted to make quilts. It was a way of tying myself to these women who were a part of me.
And so, about thirty years ago I finally began to really quilt. I'd made a pillow or two, tried a cushion for a rocking chair, but they were mostly sad affairs, done without proper fabric or batting. Now I lived in a town with a quilt shop and I made a friend of a real live quilter. I subscribed to quilting magazines and slowly became more adept. Even though I taught school most of the intervening years, quilting was a refuge from the stress and work that teaching is.
And now, here I am. Retired. With time and a roomful of sewing machines including a quilting machine. How blessed I am! Whatever would those great-grandmothers have thought of such a room as mine? I think they would have marveled and wanted to try everything! I think they would have sparkled and laughed as they tried rotary cutting, cheered over the many rulers available, and thrilled over the sewing machines that had self threaders! And the quilting machine? Unimaginable.
And so, as I finished my little table runner, I communed with Sarah Jane and Carrie as I turned the binding to the back and hand stitched it down. That process they would have known well.
Here's to you, Little Mama (short and stout) and Big Mama (tall and spare)! ♥
I think it's wonderful that you used up those quilts. I agree that they were meant to be used.
ReplyDeleteI have a quilt made of drab wool pieces with just one of red velvet. When I found it, it was between mattress and box springs on one of the beds. So -- it's dirty and perhaps not fit to be on a bed, but I still have it and it's taking up space that I could use. What shall I do with it?
An inspiring post -- thanks! Beautiful table runner.