Thursday, July 16, 2015

Potatoes


Huh?  Potatoes?  

Well, anyone in my family can tell you that I love potatoes.  In fact, one of my mottos is that I never met a potato I didn't like.  I'm even briefly mentioned in an old video of a dinner my brother's family was having when he speared a baby red one from the serving bowl, said, "This one's for you, sister," and popped it into his mouth.  Yeah, I'm famous like that.  :-)

Recently I was cruising the produce department at one of our local supermarkets and spied a small bag of potatoes.  Intrigued, I looked more closely and discovered this:


The potatoes are grown and packaged by The Little Potato Company.  They have several bags to choose from and I chose the Terrific Trio which has tiny red, yellow and blue potatoes.  Yup, blue ones.  I've always loved the tiny reds, so I just had to buy the bag and see what was up.  Well, I'll tell you:  much yummy-ness! Boiled, with just butter and a sprinkling of dried basil, and I was in heaven.  And Dan loves them, too!

Here's a peek inside the bag which holds three pounds:


The family that started this company is Dutch and in Europe they're called creamer potatoes.  You can buy bags of just the red or yellow, but those blue ones make me smile.  And yes, they taste just like the other ones.  

Potatoes get a bad rap nutritionally, but really, they are quite good for us.  It's all the stuff we do to them that add the fat and calories.  Here's the nutritional stats from the bag:


See, look at all the potassium and fiber. And carbs are just eight percent. My poor potatoes get a bad rap!  ♥

5 comments:

  1. Very enlightening! Growing up, boiling was the preferred method of potato prep. They were seldom baked, and mashed potatoes were for special occasions only. However, I frequently bake potatoes, and I don't think I've ever boiled them.

    Nice packaging. I'll look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skin on the baby potatoes is so thin that no peeling is necessary, so boiling (15 min) is a snap.

      Delete
    2. I think they're also the best kind for soups and stews -- so I've heard

      Delete
  2. We are kindred spirits in our love for potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete