I love me some potato salad. Always have. I don't make it often because if it's in the frig I have a hard time not grabbing a spoon and having "a little taste." Often. And of course, making potato salad can be labor intensive. Boiling eggs, cooling said eggs, and then peeling and chopping them. And then there's the potatoes themselves: washing, peeling, cutting into chunks, boiling, cooling and then dicing them. And making the dressing. . .
I'm still loving my Instant Pot and was thrilled to note a recipe for potato salad on one of my favorite sites, Pressure Cooking Today (link on sidebar). I checked it out and was amazed to see that the potatoes and eggs are cooked together in the Instant Pot! Could this possibly work? I am pleased to report that it does, indeed. And works in wondrous ways! I made the potato salad I took to my parents over Mother's Day weekend using the recipe, and I would say it was the best potato salad I've ever made.
Cooking the potatoes for salad takes careful attention or the potatoes overcook and you end up with mashed potato salad. Using the Instant Pot and dicing the potatoes before cooking produces perfectly cooked potatoes. Truly! And the eggs? You nested them down in the potatoes and they cook to perfection and better yet, peel to perfection! It's all like magic! I made another salad last week and it was just as perfect.
So, if you have an Instant Pot, or even a stovetop pressure cooker, give this recipe a try. I'm sorry I have no picture because . . . we ate all the salad! :-) But there's one if you go to the recipe. ♥
I like potato salad, too, but sadly, it's one dish Mike eschews. My dad made good potato salad, and I would say we had it at most summer gatherings. I don't even know if my children like potato salad because they never experienced it at home growing up. My dad added dill pickle juice to his dressing, as I recall.
ReplyDeleteAnd you know, I've always thought it's one of those dishes where you like your own and not necessarily what you get at Kentucky Fried, the deli, etc. My sister Joni also made great potato salad, in my opinion. Then she decided Reser's was just as good. Not in my opinion!
I'm so sorry Mike doesn't like potato salad! Ann has the same problem--she's the only one in her family who likes it. I agree with you regarding Reser's. And the nutritional numbers for it are terrible!! When you make your own, you can control what goes in, not to mention having it taste a thousand times better. I won't make it every week, but when I do make it, I'll enjoy every bite!
ReplyDelete