I love history and in my college days, I was actually a history major for a year and a half. Until I realized there was nothing I could do with a history major. Ah well...
Recently when I was at daughter Ann's house, I noticed a library book on an end table. A book on the Romanov family of Russia. The story of the last Tsar and his family has always intrigued me, possibly because my great grandmother on my mom's side was Russian. Apparently Ann had an interest, too.
A few days later Ann mentioned the book and offered to loan it to me when she was finished with it. I accepted her offer and read it with great interest. Turns out it's written for a young adult audience, but it is well-researched and very readable. There are pictures and interspersed among the chapters are diary entries or remembrances by Russian peasants of the same era. It's fascinating reading if you, too, are interested in history and this time period.
It's tough to find the right major, especially if one needs a career. Especially if one is young and confused.
ReplyDeleteNice little book review. Did you see the movie, Nicholas and Alexandra (1971)?
No, I haven't seen the movie. I'll have to look into it--thanks for the tip.
ReplyDeleteSpoiler alert! -- Well .. . I don't know if it's a good tip or not. I saw the movie once when it was in theaters. If you're interested in seeing a period piece, then you would enjoy that element. However, it IS about the Romanovs -- and perhaps overlong.
Delete