Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Small Holiday Project

I hadn't done any machine embroidery since I did the aprons for a friend who works at a nearby shop back in November.  I know.  I had burned myself out coming up with projects for the quilt shop and I just couldn't even think embroidery until, well, until now.  And did I mention I retired from the quilt shop?  I did.  The flowers finally did me in and I never went back after my last day on January 2.  

Anyhoo, after I finished the runner I felt the call of my 830.  And it said hitch up the embroidery unit and do something!  I'd gotten an email from Gooseberry Patch featuring food and decorating for the Fourth, and one of the ideas was a table topper, which I initially thought was a coaster.  Anyway, it gave me an idea and I decided to run with it.  I brought up a design from a patriotic set from OESD, resized it to be four inches square and set about stitching it out.  And stitch I did. Or rather my machine did.  The entire top is solid stitches and it took just over a bobbin of thread!  And the bobbin on an 830 is, they say, 40% larger than a normal bobbin!  That's a whole lotta thread!

I wasn't sure what I'd end up with, and given the time it took to stitch out, I wasn't sure I'd want to do more than one, but as I used the coaster today, I think I'll do at least one more. 


I used a blue heather felt for the fabric and slid another piece under for a backing before the red border stitched. I think I might have liked white felt better, but it would get dirty faster.  My daughter Ann came up with the idea for these felt coasters some years ago.  They wash and seem impervious to assaults by little boys.  Oh, and they don't scratch the furniture.  ♥

2 comments:

  1. I like it! And I agree - you need two for balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second one is made and now I'm contemplating making two more with a different quilt block. Maybe I can stitch and sort out my sewing room at the same time?

      Delete