For those of us born in the years following World War II, there's only one D-Day. June 6, 1944. And tomorrow marks the 70th anniversary of that "Longest Day", the invasion of Europe by the allied forces against Hitler's Germany.
As my faithful readers know, my dad was a member of the 101st Airborne Division. Tonight will mark their anniversary as they boarded their planes and gliders to travel to France to drop by parachute behind enemy lines before the beach assault of the next morning. Dad had turned twenty-one just a month before. Like many other soldiers of that war, he was a small-town boy raised during the depression. He will sometimes comment that he was eighteen the first time he saw Spokane, the region's largest city. Three years later he traveled the width of this country, sailed the Atlantic, spent months in England, and then jumped into France where he would fight for his life and his country.
![]() |
| 1944 - Dad is the one standing. |
I've heard him say more than once that no amount of money could get him to live those war days over again, and no amount of money would be worth what he learned through that time.
He's ninety-one now. Those amazing men of that era are passing from our midst daily. We have been blessed by their sacrifice. ♥

I can't think of any bit of information that would add to this thoughtful tribute to your dad and those who fought for the allied forces in WWII. Good post!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kath.
ReplyDeleteYour dad's life experience was not unique in that era. Families were raised in close-knit communities, and then we sent the young men off to war. I wonder -- does he talk about his war experiences? I wonder because suddenly in the 1990s, we realized that our WWII veterans hadn't talked -- often because they just didn't want to -- and there was a sudden push to get their stories.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure he's told Mom things, but growing up, we didn't hear much. Now that he's older, he will mention something now and then, but mostly just the funny things he did with friends or places he was. He has pointed us to certain books that tell what the 101 did and I have read some of them. What I read boggled my mind.
DeleteLove this photo. Someday I'd like to read about the 101st. We should never forget to be grateful for our freedom and to those who have fought so that we could keep it.
ReplyDeleteHi Hallie! Thanks for your comment. I can recommend several books whenever you want to read one. Hope you're liking your new job!
Delete