Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy, Happy New Year!

It seems strange that we are so far into this century already.  Y2K and it's suspected problems was fourteen years ago!  And I can remember, when I was in high school, thinking 1967 and my graduation would never come!  Can you see the smile on my face?  

So here were are--a new year and already the second day of it.  I must say, I do love New Year's Day and the getting out of new calendars and the putting away of the old.  All those pages yet to be turned.  For many years Dan has gotten me a new calendar for my kitchen.  They are lovely, made by Lang Graphics, and feature folk pictures on heavy, linen-like paper.  I've kept them all, and have even framed a few pictures from them in the past.  

I'm regressing to last year in the following picture.  On our way to Kirsten's on Christmas Eve, I had Dan stop so I could take a picture of one of the aprons I embroidered and wrote about here.  The front window of the shop was decorated to be a kitchen with the bear as the baker of gingerbread cookies.  


The other eight aprons were worn by the various people who worked there.  My friend Cyndie told me they loved them, which was very gratifying.  

We spent yesterday relaxing and then attended an "Italian New Year Party" at the home of some good friends.  Tina's family is Italian and a few years ago, they began a new tradition of having an open house on New Year's Day featuring Italian food and music--Perry Como and Dean Martin could be heard crooning on LP records on a turntable.  The event has grown each year (Steve and Tina's motto is once invited, always invited), and I suspect that over the five hours yesterday, more than eighty people came to eat and visit.  This year's party was especially important as Tina was diagnosed with breast cancer last August and following surgery has been undergoing what will be a year's worth of chemotherapy. But there she was, busy in the kitchen, her infectious smile and wonderful laugh going full blast, determined that nothing would stop this special event.  

And so, dear readers, let's take a cue from Tina.  Let's not miss a chance to laugh, love, or spend time with those dear to us this new year.  Time passes so very quickly, but love and friendship last.  Happy New Year! ♥

7 comments:

  1. And how many of those aprons did you embroider? Very cute!

    Mike and I also enjoy putting up the new calendars, most of which are freebies mailed to us from various organizations we support, insurance providers, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, etc. But I also buy a Marjolein Bastin engagement calendar, published by Lang, which I use for organizing my goals and as a diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made nine altogether. It took at least an hour for each one.

      Aren't those Lang calendars gorgeous?! I used to get the engagements ones, too, but haven't in years. I tried to remember to use them, but I failed...

      Delete
    2. My sister Joni gave me my first Marjolein Bastin engagement calendar. At the time they were produced by Hallmark. When Hallmark dropped that line, I found that Lang had picked it up. Yes, it's a quality product. And it's true -- I don't write in it much, but I love it anyway and treat myself every year. It does me good . . .

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Hallie! It was fun to put all the elements together for them.

      Delete
  3. P.S. How cute are those play cookies?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have such a great toy selection at Hodgins. Good, old fashioned durable, imagination boosting toys.

      Delete