It's been a dry winter and the last few days have been dark with lots of fog. This means the days are not so beautiful, but the upside is that often, when it's cold enough, the fog freezes on the surrounding vegetation and creates frosted beauty that can take your breath away. Every little blade of grass and every twig will be covered with frost and the world becomes a fairyland.
Today, the frostline is higher than our house, but I just snapped this picture of the hill across the way. The trees are white and beautiful with the fog hovering just at the top.
Sometimes we are tempted to call January "Janudreary", but it's amazing how any kind of white brightens up the day, even if it's not snow.
Meanwhile, I continue to feel much, much better. A little cough still lingers if I catch a whiff of any scent, but it's almost gone and I'm rejoicing! I spent this morning running around town getting my hair cut and getting my teeth buffed and polished at the dentist. I really need to be dusting and doing some laundry right now, but it'll wait a little longer. We have leftovers for supper so I can putter where I want knowing I don't need to be in the kitchen. Which reminds me; last night I made an old recipe for cauliflower and it was as good as I remembered.
Frosted Cauliflower
1 head of cauliflower, cored and left whole
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 T mustard
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup grated cheddar (I used Mexican blend)
paprika
Rinse cauliflower and place in microwave safe bowl and cover. Cook 6-7 minutes per pound. Mix mayo, mustard and onion powder. Spread over cooked cauliflower and sprinkle on the cheese. Add a sprinkling of paprika and microwave another minute, uncovered.
Way back in 1980 when Dan got me my first microwave for Christmas (I was so in hopes of getting one, I was like a kid and could hardly sleep that Christmas Eve!), it came with classes at the local appliance store where he purchased it. This was one of the recipes we were given. I think I could eat the whole thing if given the chance. Yes, it's that good!
And now, I really need to get that last load in the washer. By then the dishwasher will be done and I'll need to empty that. The dusting? We'll see! ♥
I went to those classes with you. It was a blast. Those were the days when people were experimenting with microwaving every imaginable type of food -- from roasts to candy to vegetables to baked goods. One hardly hears about that anymore. In fact, I had several microwave cookbooks and I might have let those go. The mimeographed sheets from the class were tucked inside one of those cookbooks, and I'm not sure what happened to them.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, my family loves that frosted cauliflower recipe. And I made a batch of microwave peanut brittle after Christmas which turned out well.
I didn't dust today. I did empty the dishwasher and I have pheasant stroganoff cooking in the crockpot.
When I was talking to Dan last night about the classes he thought I had gone with Karen, but I told him no, it was you. And they were a blast! So fun, and getting out was good, too!
DeleteI didn't dust either, but I did get the last load of laundry done, dried and folded! AND, I think I'm within a few minutes work of finishing the stocking applique!! Hopefully a new blog post featuring it will be coming soon!
Mmm, pheasant stroganoff; sounds yummy! Rice or noodles?
Rice -- a wild rice mix. That dish makes its final debut tonight. Tomorrow: new food!
Delete