Our town has some wonderful walking/bike paths resulting from the "rails to trails" program, and yesterday I asked Dan if we could walk a section that I've always wanted to explore. Don't ask why we haven't; you know how it goes. So we drove a short distance, parked, and began to walk. The weather was perfect, sunny but definitely cool. Our first steps took us into an area that seemed almost tunnel-like with bright colored trees and bushes everywhere. There was a little creek to the side and the sound of the water caught my ear. A spillway has recently been created and it made a lovely, peaceful spot.
A little further down the path, we discovered a row of trees, each with a plaque dedicated to a student from our high school who had passed away much too young.
I had no idea such memorials existed, but I recognized several names, and one in particular, a young seventeen-year-old who, as a boy, had attended the school where I taught for many years.
As we continued, we discovered a small park (who knew?) that made me want to have a picnic immediately! I think we shall have to return soon with a bag of sandwiches, some fruit, and something warm to drink. A hidden treasure! I kept marveling over this area that I never knew existed.
Below, a horse chestnut is about to pop.
And, oh, the gorgeous leaves!
It was a most restorative walk. Peaceful, beautiful, and perfect. I think we must do it again soon.
I know about that nice walking path. It's an asset to your community and the general area. This is a beautiful time of year to enjoy it. I hope you do picnic at that lovely park.
ReplyDeleteI hope we do, too. Today is gorgeous but Dan is busy in the yard and I don't want to interrupt that! It's supposed to be like this until the end of the month, so hopefully we'll get a chance.
DeleteThe weather is certainly beautiful . . .
DeleteIsn't it amazing to discover a new place? So pretty.
ReplyDeleteYes! (To both your statements!) Sometimes it's fun to look at your town as a "destination spot" and do some exploring, just like you would if you were vacationing somewhere else. We (Dan and I) need to do it more often.
Delete