I always think I need to have pictures, but guess what--I have no new pictures. I do have a new cell phone! And here's the story. About six years, or more, ago, Ann and Eric gave Dan a cell phone for Father's Day so he could call home when he's out and about in the woods. With the proliferation of cell phones, pay phones had all but disappeared from the landscape. For years, when Dan was on his way home, he would stop at one to tell me where he was and when he'd be home, but it was getting harder and harder to find one to use. The cell phone was actually for both of us--for Dan to use and for me to have peace of mind.
So, Dan carried that phone with him for years, until that one became so outdated he had to buy a new one, and then he took that one. The operative word, however, is work. The only time he remembers to take it with him is when he's working. And I appreciate that! But whenever we'd just be on the move, chances were very good that it was not with him--it was home, in the drawer in the kitchen. "Rats!" we would say, when we'd think of need for it, "We don't have the phone again!"
Tuesday, grandson Cameron had a soccer game at a school in the neighboring town. I knew where it was supposed to be and even printed out directions to get there. Upon arriving at the school, we noticed a football team was practicing in the field. Hmmm. The game must have moved to the high school field, so we made our way across town and into the general vicinity of that school. And yes, there were mumblings in the Explorer about the fact that the cell phone was in the drawer and we couldn't call Ann to find out what was up. I was heard to say, "This is it! I am going to get my own cell phone and it's going to live in my purse!" And Dan agreed.
Meanwhile we were having no luck finding the high school. We could see it, but we couldn't figure out how to get there. As we wound around and around the hills, we finally spotted a lady walking her dog and asked her. We were close! Following her directions, we found it and parked and headed for some soccer games we could see in the distance. A young woman walked by us and hearing our ponderings over which team might be Cameron's, asked who were were looking for. When we told her, she said their game was at the school we had first gone to. We told her there was football practice going on and she asked if we'd gone to the lower fields. Of course we hadn't because we didn't know there were lower fields, which it turns out, were only accessible by driving a few blocks past the school and turning left and following a winding street which led to the other side of the school.
So, back across town we went, figuring we'd all but missed the game, but knowing we had to explain what had happened. When we got there, we spotted Ann on a hill, looking for us, as she had been doing for about forty-five minutes. She had begun to suspect (correctly) what had happened, but of course, couldn't call us.
We did get to see most of the second half of the game, but missed Cameron's score (of course) which was early in the first half. His team won! They haven't had a lot of wins, so this was sweet.
As soon as we left the game, we went to the store and bought my phone. It's nothing fancy, but I can run it and I've even learned to text. The important part is that it's in my purse and next time we'll be able to call. I've put Ann's number in my contacts!
It's hard for those of us who grew up thinking of phones firmly anchored in places to associate phones with persons. Now that Mike has his iPhone, we're beginning to get better.
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you for getting your own cell phone. And texting! I'm impressed! I have yet to text.
I called Ann and Eric with my new phone so they could get the number and the first thing Eric did was sent me a text. I was forced to learn, but I'm grateful! It's kind of fun!!
DeleteWe'll get Mom texting soon! ;) I am bad about not looking at my phone for hours and I miss messages and phone calls. Today I was justifying this to myself thinking, "we just have to remember that there was a time when people had to wait until we got home to check our messages." Then it occurred to me...soon, people WON'T remember those times. I must adapt!
ReplyDeleteYou're right, Hallie--soon the only type of phone people will know is the cell phone, Or whatever comes next! It's funny when I watch old TV shows like Columbo or Kojak and they are using radios and the office phone, and then I realize that's all anyone had in "those days." (I love the oldies on ME TV and TVLand.) And long distance calls? Big deals back in my childhood involving operators and terms like "station to station" and "person to person". Now even I have jumped on the cell phone bandwagon! The times indeed are changing. :-)
DeleteI think there's room for a lot of improvement in cell technology. The caller's voice doesn't always come through with crystal clarity. And yet -- some uses are just so convenient.
ReplyDeleteYes, I am to look into a new phone at the Verizon store. Then we'll exchange phone numbers, Chris, and then I'll call your cell when I need advice with my projects.
Well, I'm hardly the one to know about cell phone quality, but they sure can do a lot of things. More than enough for me!! So, no iPhone for you?
DeleteYes, it will be an iPhone -- just not the most recent iPhone. But it will still do plenty of stuff, and I have to learn. It keeps us young, you know.
ReplyDelete